10.09.2007

The Big Hoop-la

Yesterday was the day of celebration for the birthday girl! At one year and one day old, we packed the day full of birthday festivities. Things kinda started the night before when Gwen got her new birthday jammies to sleep in. The next morning the girls woke up to the birthday tree. Gabs came in my room early in the morning before Gwen woke up and said, "Mama...there's a Christmas tree in my room!" She was so excited, she couldn't wait for Gwen to wake up to go and play. Once the birthday girl woke up they both undecorated and re-decorated the birthday tree many times. After breakfast, we rushed off to the dollar store so Gabs could pick out a very special present for her sister. We came home with flower finger puppets, and Dora stickers (I'm sure there was good intentions behind the stickers, but they were opened and stuck to everything before we even got home.) Gwen took a gigantic nap in the afternoon, so Gabs and I hurried and made a birthday banner, birthday hats, and wrapped presents. It's tough explaining to an almost 3 year old that these presents aren't for her. She was a huge help though, and made sure all the presents had plenty of "sticky tape".
We got the highly anticipated phone call that Joe was on his way home, so we all sat down for a great birthday dinner. Afterwards, we quickly took pictures of Gwen in all her birthday glory. I've never seen her so excited! Was it because she knew it was her special day? I don't know, but I think she was just thrilled to see her daddy home. Gabs could hardly wait to open presents. She was a great big sister and made sure that Gwen got a quick touch of the present before she whisked it away to unveil the surprise inside! Once Gabs gave over the new toy, Gwen loved her new things.

Cake was last on the agenda. Boy was it fun! She started first with a touch of a finger, then a fist full of frosting, then, two-handed, she picked up the cake for a mouth full of chocolate. She even shared, a favorite thing of mine...when babies share their mashed food with you! It's too irresistable to say no. A bath was in order. Then, back into the birthday jammies once more for a good night's sleep after the big day of hoop-la!
I can't believe my baby's 1. We went today to her appointment to find that she' s not quite hefty enough to turn around in her car seat-25%, but that her head circumference is in the 95%. She makes me so proud! I love you Gwen Gwen, thank you for choosing us!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

A birthday tree--sounds fun, what do you decorate it with? Gwen is so so cute Happy birthday to her!

The Seaquist Family said...

Ok, seriously the sweetest picture is the one of Gwen hugging her new baby doll. Oh I wish Ava would hug her baby doll. She just drags her by her leg and throws her out of the way to put her ball, or her new discovery, GARBAGE, in the stroller. I guess it helps when there is a big sister to watch instead of two too helpful big brothers.

Jillyboo said...

Yes, tell me more about the birthday tree, sounds too cute. And these pictures are my favorite. Your lighting is flawless and your subjects are so dang cute its painful! I wish you could take pic's of our family. We really need a good Family photo, they're all of the kids. Im sure you know just what I mean.
I am glad she had such a great day.

regibells said...

I am going to put you on my blog page too since I check your blog lots anyways. (Im assuming that is okay :) My last post reminded me of your post about traditions as I mentioned. That was such a great post and I might just have to use that as a topic one of these days. So that birthday tree thing was one of those mentioned traditions I liked a lot too...I think I am also going to try out the one where your kids leave the candy out for the witch to turn into a toy. GOOD one!

Shanen said...

That sounds like a great day. I am so glad Joe got home for the evening. Gwen looks too cute and I bet Gabs loved being the big sister and helping with everything. You are such a great mom Jamie. Your girls are truely lucky. Love you

Lisa said...

What a perfect day. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous and look so great all stitched together. Your girls are just too cute. Miss you tons.

Sara said...

I love the small pictures together...looks like you guys had so much fun on Gwen's birthday. Thanks for sharing!

Becca said...

I love first birthdays! nothing better! What a sweet heart!! love those pictures and how you displayed them... how did you format them!!!

Cathy said...

What a great idea! You are too cute and you inspire me to be a better Mom!