12.26.2007

The Aftermath





Joe's back in Seattle, we won't see him until Friday night. My house is a mess. My refrigerator is empty. I'm exhausted from just fighting the return lines at the mall. But my children are quiet. No, they're not asleep, they are just totally mesmerised with their new things. Lucky me!

Gabriella woke me up at 5:30 this morning wanting to play with her new kitchen. I was able to get her to lay back down. As I was drifting off to sleep again I heard her whisper her version of Star light, Star Bright. This is what she said:
Star bright, star bright,
Can't you see the stars so bright?
Star bright, star bright.
I wish to make a wish tonight.
I wish it was Christmas every day.

I too wish that it were Christmas everyday, so I would never have to face the 26th of December. What a sad day it is. I look at our Christmas decorations and am no longer excited for Christmas morning, just overwhelmed at the thought of packing it all up again. My tree is practically stabbing me when I walk past it is so dry and dead. Besides the huge mess everywhere, my house is still and bare. It looks so lonely after the presents are opened, the tree gets thrown away, and all the lights get unplugged. And, my Christmas station on TV is now Country music!

With our anniversary, Christmas Eve, and Christmas all in a row, I feel like I need something special to do on the 26th to ease my way back into reality. It just can't be all over so suddenly. Does anyone do anything special on the 26th besides sip left over egg nog, shop with crazy people, or de-christmasfy the house? I now relate to my Grandpa fully who at any date throughout the year, knows exactly how many more days until Christmas. All I can say right now is, let the count down begin, 364 more days until Christmas. I can't wait!

8 comments:

Shanen said...

So sad reading this, and I'm sorry Joe is gone until Friday....but then LET THE PARTY BEGIN!!! The girls look so happy in their room. I bet you might just get some quiet time from them after all. Love you

nicole said...

It looks like they love their kitchen! What lucky girls. I'm sure you'll get some great downtime now. All you need to do is make good use of it! Love you

Jennifer said...

Jamie, it's time to start planning for New Years Eve! Sparklers, the countdown, yummy finger foods, banging pots and pots etc... After one holiday ends another begins! Haven't you seen the Valentines and St. Patricks day stuff out at the stores all ready? Love the play kitchen, what did they think of theiur cradles?

Fisher Family said...

The kitchen looks awesome...sweet sister pictures of the girls playing together, I love that Cora and Shay do that now too! ;)

Jennifer said...

It is certainly the anticipation of Christmas that is the most exciting! It goes to prove that the spirit of the season really isn't in the "stuff" but in the giving. By Christmas afternoon, we had toys that were malfunctioning, a new watch with a dead battery, new clothing with snags - whatever happened to true craftsmanship? - and then Abri took the scissors to the mane of her new toy horse. As I was looking at the "aftermath", I remembered why I like Thanksgiving so much... I guess it's a good reminder of what is really important.

Unknown said...

I love the kitchen I can't wait until my baby girl is old enough to get one so I, I mean she can play with it!

Jillyboo said...

O' it looks like your girls had such a fun Christmas. My Mom has a little kitchen and the Grandkids all play with it every time they're over there. What a great gift.
And super cute pictures, as always. How do you get your lighting so soft? Is it all knowing how to use your flash or is it in the editing? Anyways, your lighting always looks so professional! I just got a Nikon speedlight flash for Christmas and am trying to learn how to use it.

Becca said...

Twas the year for Pink Kitchens!!!! We got a special delivery over here too!!!

I am still in the throws of the Holidays with family still in town. once they all hit the road the post pardom will set in!Yuck!!!!