
I can still remember my first favorite book. Well, let's be honest, it's probably still my favorite book since I'm not much of a reader and haven't really read much since this first love of mine. But it's a book called The Best Loved Doll. It's such a sweet story about a little girl who gets invited to a birthday party and she is to bring a doll. There are prizes for the best dressed doll, the most talented doll, and the oldest doll. She has a doll that fits into each of those categories, but she decides to take another doll. Her favorite doll, which isn't any of those things, it's just her best loved doll. She's dirty and falling apart and her clothes are torn, but she takes her anyway and gets a special award for having the best loved doll.
Gabriella's favorite were board books by Sandra Boynton. We have the whole collection and she had each of those books memorized by 18 months. She seriously loved them. Now, she loves Ella the Elegant Elephant, and a Curious George story where he goes to a costume party. We read those stories over and over. As of late, she has been loving the Goldilocks story from the library, which is good, I think it's helping her get over her fear of bears. We might have to get one for our own growing library.
I love reading to the girls. It's so nice to have them sit so still on my lap, and so quietly and lay back in my arms and listen to the quick little story they have chosen. I love the funny things Gabs says when she observes something new in the story, or when Gwen gets impatient with the long book Gabriella has chosen and tries to put "her" book over the top of it to read it.
"Her" book would be a word book by Richard Scarry. It's not even a story, it's a word book! Over and over and over again she wants us to read this story to her. She will come yelling at you as loud as she can with this book in hand, "eeaa, eeaa, eeaa." Meaning read, read, read. If it's on the floor when we get home, or out anywhere she can see it, she dives out of your arms to go get it immediately. It's rare if we sit down and don't read it 3 times in a row. And we do that hundreds of times a day.
The other day we were at the library and I was in an aisle looking for books. I heard the familiar, extremely loud, "eeaa, eeaa, eeaa" coming towards me. There from around the corner comes Gwen with the Richard Scarry word book! How did that little girl find this book at the library with the millions of other books? We sat down at the library and re-read again and again the same favorite book that we have at home.
Hopefully, my girls will one day sit down and read on their own. And learn to love reading for themselves and read well into their adult life. But for right now, I am perfectly happy being the one to read to them. We already have some very loved books. So, what books are the best loved books in your house. Which story do you find yourself reading over and over again?

8 comments:
What a cute post. And I totally forgot about that story until you just wrote about it. That was such a good one. Do you still have a copy of it? If not, you need to find one. Love you.
Jamie, I have a book called The best loved doll but it is different. Probablly a new author doing her own take. I should let you borrow it. Chase is reading like crazy now. I have to tell him to turn out his lights ar 11:00when I go to bed. He's been falling asleep at school! My girls love Knuffle Bunny. They screamed with delight the other day at the book store to announce they had seen a sequel on display.
i missed a few posts it seems!!! I love all the fun daily funnies you write about and the great pictures!!!! I wish we were neighbors and our kids could play while we gab and eat all afternoon!I miss you!
Dax loves the Sandra Boyton books too, but he also loves the Little Crittors. Too bad I feel like I have to sensor some of those. I completely threw the one out about "Me and the Bully". It used the word FAT HEAD! Not such a great idea for an impressionable 2 year old! Gwen looks like she is changing so much! I can't wait to see you all!
Dear Jamie (I always love addressing someone with "dear"--it makes it seem more personal, doesn't it?)
I have been looking through your posts and can I just tell you that you have such a beautiful family! Your girls are darling. I lOVED your post from last year sometime about traditions--so creative and such evidence of what a wonderful mother you are! I hope I can be as fun a mom and have a family as wonderful as yours someday.
My favorite children's books are: The little Engine that Could, Goodnight Moon, The Library, The Giving Tree, Ferdinand . . .
PS--I drive through Helper whenever I go to Provo! There is something wonderful about little Utah towns :)
I loved this post. The story at the top almost had me in tears. I think I related too much to that little girl and the best loved doll.
Hmm . . . favorite kid stories. Well, a favorite at our house is "The Train that Could" with beautiful illastrations. Then it is on to lots of boy ones. Trucks, trucks, and more truck type of books is what Tanner leans to. I never thought I would know the names of so many different kinds of trucks and cars. I would have to say that Carly funishes us with our favorites. She is always giving the boys books and they are the best ones too!
Your girls really are beyond darling! Those pictures of Gwen with her favorite book are fabulous.
I LOVE kids books and have tons that are excellent! I bet Gabs and Gwen would love the Bing Bunny books, or the Thingy Things books. Also we love Don't let the Pidgeon Drive the Bus and the poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends.
Post a Comment