1.29.2008

Rainy Days



As I sit here my house is dark. It's 3:15, and I need to go turn on all the lights. That's the Pacific Northwest for you. Not more than 20 minutes ago, I was taking these pictures with no lights on at all. Just good old fashion sun light. That's a hot commodity around here! Now it is gone until who knows when.

Yesterday morning we woke up to snow...that lasted only until about 4 when there wasn't a trace of it to be seen anywhere.

Last week we had beautiful clear blue skies all week long-with 35 degree weather. But we had to take advantage, so out we went. Gabs took one step outside and said, "That's too hot mama." "No," I said, "That's just the sun. It's too bright, not too hot." The poor thing doesn't even know what hot or bright means!

What to do on such a sad, gloomy, January afternoon? Give your toys a bath of course! Get your little ones a sink full of warm water, some soap, a wash cloth, a kitchen chair and lots of Little People and princesses. Oh, and be sure to have something planned to do for yourself, because this little formula allows, at least for us, an hour and a half of freedom...while supervising of course!

Some have asked where I find time to craft and sew...well there you go! Wait for the littlest one to nap, then provide the not so little one with water! Perfect plan.

There is one thing I forgot though and that's some sort of waterproofing gear. Literally, while Gabs was so enthralled with her washing, I whipped up this apron/smock out of some oil cloth fabric I picked up from the remnants bin at my favorite fabric store. Seriously, never go to the fabric store without checking out the remnants bin! I think I might throw in paints next time to extend the free time a little longer!
Is there anything special indoors that you do on rainy days??

14 comments:

Becca said...

I think if we all collectively start praying for sunshine it may just come!!!!!

It's really hard keeping busy when it's so cold out! Fun times!

And I loved your comment!!I forgot all about our love for Match Game!!!! See I was obsessed with game shows even back then!

Carly said...

So this is the first photo I have seen of Gabs head on--and well, she is adorable. I wish I lived close to you so I could take photography lessons! I LOVE reading your blog.

Shanen said...

Oh my gosh Jamie. I LOVE the last picture of Gabs. Her little face is so precious. I can't wait to see her in 2 weeks. I don't have much advise for rainy days...they are few and far between here in AZ.

Anonymous said...

SO, when can I place my order for one of your gorgeous smocks? Seriously! So cute!

I am with you on water activities. We take three baths a day. I'm not kidding! When my kids get bored I get them naked, stick them in a bath give them washable paints, watercolors, and brushes and they go to town painting each other, the walls and the bath toys. When they are done they wash everything off. It's great.

And I hear you with the sunlight thing. I am tired of living in a cold dark place. After growing up in HB I expect it to be sunny every day and am disappointed when it's not.

Do you have a basement? We hung swings in ours which has been a lot of fun.

MyR said...

Bath for the toys...great idea! I'll have to try that one.

My free time activity...bread dough! It's so much better than playdough because it doesn't flake all over the place. I'll make bread and save a little ball for Tyann to play with. I add extra flour so it's not sticky. She gets out some of her dishes, pans and her rolling pin and pretends for at least an hour. The dough becomes all sorts of things. I even had to put out a cookbook so she could "use the receipe" to make it. Then when she's done I let her bake it with the bread. She's so excited to eat her own creation (although I'm sure it can't taste very good with the extra flour and all the playing with it).

Jillyboo said...

As always your pictures are beautiful.
Also, I know I sound ungrateful but there are so many days that I wish I were able to live it that cold, dark weather. I love the Pacific Northwest and hope to be out there someday... Maybe Dave will get into U of W for his PhD!
And I loved your idea about a cape for Ella. Someday when I learn how to sew I will need to do one, she's love it. Why didnt I ever learn to sew? I should be angry with my Mom.

nicole said...

What a fun activity for a rainy day. Gabriella is so darling! And how fun for her to get a new smock while she's playing. She's such a lucky girl! We can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

Tasha said...

You are much too fun of a Mom!! I am definatly using this. Tanner is obsessed with water. Why have I not thought of giving his cars a bath before? I could be sewing this very moment. And, can I just say you are a fabulous photographer once again! You are great!!

Jennifer said...

Only cool moms let their kids play in water. I can't even stand baths because I hate the water mess! You need an online store.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet Jamie!:) The thing I love to do most with Preston is snuggle up and watch a DVD in bed together. We usually end up falling asleep:) I'll have to try the giving your toys a bath thing when Preston gets old enough. For now we're just working on sitting up:)

Dana said...

Jamie,

The pictures of your girls are beautiful! What kind of camera do you use?

regibells said...

Great Idea...I will have to try that one. I do the bath thing a lot during the day too. We also have been doing "snow castles"..since we have got a lot of that! You use eye droppers with food coloring in the snow and cookies cutters and cups to build the castle. (we bring the snow indoors on a few large cookies sheets.) It will keep my Jake busy for hours. (You can use a snow cone machine if you don't have snow handy.) I wish someone would write a blog of things to keep kids busy...let me know if you ever find more ideas.

Kari said...

Ok Jamie, you are too amazing. I love the pictures of your girls. Keep inspiring me to be a better mom!! I hope the sun appears for you guys soon... who am I kidding... I am pretty sure you are in Hawaii right now, so I am having a hard time feeling too sorry for you! Take care!

Kari said...

Alright- one more comment! Ok, Paige is upstairs right now washing all of Tanner's toys, it is snowy and cold and you are a life saver! Ok, here is my rainy day idea for you - Barrett & Paige both love this. I made a book for each of them with paper, and at the top of each page I write a letter of the alphabet. Then, we go to town ripping pictures out of my magazines and using a glue stick to paste them on to the appropriate page (On the A page there is usually and apple, etc.). I have done this with them for years and it taught both of them the alphabet and sounds - and they still like to do it.