3.26.2008

You Love Them or Hate Them

I'm talking about dogs of course.
I don't know what happened to me as a child. But somewhere along the way, earlier than I can remember, I became petrified of dogs. For as long as I can recall I have been scared to death of them. I have never been bitten by one or attacked by one. Yet, all dogs are the enemy.

I can still see me as a little girl running for my life down the long street my friend Kirsten lived on. I ran wildly, screaming all the way. Behind me, drooling and barking at my heels, well, yapping really, was the littlest dog you can imagine. I was sure I was going to die right then and there if that dog caught up with me. After what seemed like an endless street and an eternity of running, I finally made it to another friends garage where I tearfully found refuge and my safety. It took getting that little tiny puppy put back in the backyard to get me to come out of whatever I was hiding behind.

I truly fear dogs. Friends put their dogs in the bathroom or the garage when I come over. I wander to the opposite side of Joe when I see a dog will pass us on my side. I have never owned a dog. I never want to own a dog. Joe would have us own a dog, but he doesn't help the situation by telling me about all the facial traumas he sees due to dog bites. It's never going to happen. Not a dog. No way.

Not only am I scared silly by these clearly deadly animals, but I have no idea what different dogs are called. Breeds? What's that? All I know are Dalmatians, those are obvious. And then of course Great Danes. As if dogs weren't frightening enough, looking into that horse like build, eye to eye, about puts me over the edge. Other than that, they are all simply the same...the enemy.

Surprisingly, my girls have not inherited my aversion to dogs. They seem to call them cute, and want to pet them all the time. Go figure. While we were in Hawaii, the girls spent a lot of time at my sisters Nicole's house. They have a dog. And, like any other dog, I'm also terrified of big-friendly-nice-yellow-whatever breed of dog it is, Michael. From what I was told, unlike me, Gwen, wasn't afraid of him. She loved "a Mike-all". Ever since her time in Arizona, every time she sees any kind of dog, she calls out "a Mike-all, a Mike-all."

The other day we were in the car in a parking lot. Gwen looked out her window and started calling and pointing to "a Mike-all". Michael in this case, was an itty bitty tiny black dog in the car next to us. I told her "That's not Michael." And then, almost immediately, Gabriella chimed in. She said, "I know what that is mom. That's a skunk!"

I could hardly get any words out through my laughter, but I had to say, "Yup, I think you're right Gabs." Because that about wraps up my feelings on them too.

14 comments:

nicole said...

I'm happy to know that Gwen likes Michael. I think it's so cute that every dog is now "a Mike all." You really can't ask for a better dog than him and I'm glad to see Gwen realizes it! =)Do you remember all of Joan's dogs across the street?? You never went outside if their garage door was open.

Jennifer said...

Dogs, skunks...they're all the same in your book hugh? I guess I won't ask you to dog sit for me while I'm out of town. How about cats? They are less ferocious looking.

The Seaquist Family said...

skunks huh? Ok, I'm still laughing. My eyes are wet. You are so hilarious. Although I don't have your fear of dogs, and I have been bitten in the face by our dog growing up...I too will NEVER get a dog.

Jennifer said...

Everyone knows that a dog is a man's best friend. Would you really cheat Joe, your kids and yourself of that one-of-a-kind relationship simply due to a little childhood trauma? Now, really Jamie... :)

To be honest, I'm not very fond of other people's dogs but I sure wouldn't trade mine for the world!

Tasha said...

That is okay, I am not a dog person either. I am not terrified of them (although I was when I was younger), but I really have NO desire to own one. No desire. I am just not a dog, cat, or animal person in general. Tanner likes them okay, but Brayden LOVES them. I just tell my boys they can hope that an Aunt, Uncle, or Brian's parents will hopefully have one for them to love. I love that Gab thought the one was a skunk. I would have been laughing too. So funny.

Carly said...

I hate 'em. I hear ya! I totally associate them with skunks. Smelly, scary, and just plain icky. Maybe they'll grow out of it!

Bryn said...

I love that picture of Gabriella! When I was reading your story I kept thinking about the recurring dream I had of Georgie's little wiener dog that would chase me and I would run so fast I would start flying. You have to remember that dream of mine right? No animals for us either! :)

Shanen said...

I love that. Don't feel bad, we aren't getting any dogs over here either. My kids didn't start tolerating dogs until we moved into this house. Tigger next door is a pretty nice dog and even Kruzie is starting to get used to him. Cute picture of Gabs.

Shawni said...

Why is it that no child seems to be at peace until they have a dog for a pet? I know some of them are cute, but seriously, I don't know a kid who wouldn't just LOVE one. My kids beg and beg and beg and beg. Maybe some day. For now our hamster sort of does the trick.

I met your sister at Costco the other day. SUCH a small world!

Unknown said...

I hate dogs, and Jason loves them. Go figure.

MyR said...

Chris says "The only good pet is at someone else's house." PERFECT! I have enough messes to clean up with kids. Why add animals too?

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh. I am the same way with cats. Hate 'em. My mom watched me jump back and forth for 15 minutes because of a stupid cat until I came running bak to the car crying. I was sure it was going to bite me to death. Makes me laugh now to imagine how silly I looked, but I was truly scared.

But I love Dogs, or skunks!

Sarah said...

I hate cats too. Loathe them. I'm not scared, I just want to run them over with my car. Seriously. We had a cat growing up, and I'm sure that's where my aversion stems from. We let 'Mittens' live waaaay past her prime. Poor thing had kidney failure and was constantly pooping under my bed. So gross. When my mom finally took her to the vet and discovered the problem, she was put to sleep. My brother cried, I threw a party. Good riddance.

Dents said...

Not a big dog fan myself. Greg's brother is afraid of dogs too...only he is 6'9" and 250 lbs, so it is kind of cute when a dog comes around him.
About Forks...The beaches, Kalaloch & Ruby beach were the most fun for the kids because of all the drift logs. It would have been easier if it was warmer, could of stayed longer outside, without the kids getting cold. 4th beach had good tide pools, I love that stuff. It was a fun weekend trip for sure.