4.19.2008

Fashion Show


I knew as soon as I said it, I shouldn't have. You know when you're in the middle of saying something and you think "I should really stop. This is not a good idea. I know better." Well, I said it.

I got as far as "fash" and knew I was in trouble. Yup, I made the mistake and suggested we have a "fashion show" to Gabriella the other day. What was I thinking introducing this already obsessed, addicted, dress-up diva to the idea of fashion shows? What have we been doing every day straight since then? Having millions of fashions shows.

Don't get me wrong, I think fashions shows are great. I had fashions shows with my sisters clear into high school it seemed. Every new school year, just before the first day of school, we would try on all the new school clothes we had gotten over the summer and decide what to wear each day for the first week of school. We would run downstairs to show my mom and dad, and they would politely smile and tell us we looked great. Then we'd dash back up stairs for a quick change and run back down again. I'm sure they thought we were crazy, but we loved it. Fashion shows are great. But when the cat is away, the mice will play.

The other night I was gone and Joe was home with the girls. Turns out when Joe's the one sponsoring the fashion show, it's way better. He told me after I got home that Gabriella kept telling him that she wanted to have a fashion show. And here's where the better parent thing comes in. Instead of getting down the girls dress up box like I always do, he got out my jewelry and they got to wear bracelets as earrings and such.

They must have had a ball, because the first thing the next morning, Gabs immediately told me all about their fashion show. She also kept asking for a certain pair of my Sunday shoes...ones really high in the closet. Apparently, my jewelry wasn't the only fun of the night. It's true, Joe is definitely the better parent.
After days and days of begging, yesterday I just gave in. It was snowing outside and we weren't going anywhere. I had given up. I gave the girls free reign of my jewelry. It's only the cheap $7 stuff anyway. And what's a few passes down the hallway catwalk in my Sunday shoes? The carpet needs cleaning anyway. Why not get down my grandma's old hats she sent? She would be tickled to know they were used in an ever important fashion show. And what kind of mother am I to display my moms old Sunday School gloves on the girls dresser and never let them touch them? Today, it was all fair game.

We sent Joe out of the bedroom and I helped the girls get dressed. Whatever they wanted, they could have. They dressed themselves however they wanted. I was only there to assist them. I was surprised, Gabriella showed some restraint on the jewelry and only picked matching pieces. But not Gwen. Oh my Gwen Gwen. She quickly turned into Mr. T and had every piece of jewelry she could find around her neck.

Gabs came out of the room beaming for Joe. She made him "cheer" for her as she and Gwen took turns walking up and down the hall on the so-called catwalk. They worked that catwalk for a good 30 minutes. And Joe politely smiled. I'm sure all the while thinking they were as crazy as their mother.

I had to smile too. It was the first of many fashion shows to come over the years. One day, I know I'll be sad that they won't be wearing my clothes, but their own grown clothes that they actually fit into. So here's to many, many more fashions shows.
Sidenote to my love Joe: Keep smiling babe. It's only just begun. It's only just begun.

11 comments:

Tasha said...

Oh, seeing those pictures and hearing their fashion experiences that just makes me smile from ear to ear. What treasures you have Jamie. I love it. And what a good Mom to give in and make these fashion shows so special. These girls are going to grow up adoring you.

Unknown said...

How gosh we used to have the back to school fashion show too! Love it!

Shanen said...

What a fun thing to do with the girls on your snowed in day. I bet you have SOOOO many more of these to come.

The Seaquist Family said...

I laughed out loud. Poor Ava - no sister to do fashion shows with. What a fun day...and what a great Mom you are. Ava would be hard pressed to find much jewlery around here. Guess I had better start getting some. What a great snowy day activity.

Jennifer said...

Boys are much less fun. we were out at 8:00 in the morning on "the snowy day" (is that the nice PC way to call horrible, when is winter going to stop day?) watching baseball practice and a game. We were all in our snow suits. Chase even had hand warmers in his gloves. You need a boy to pull you guys all our of the enchanted world of girls:-)

Dara said...

Your pictures are always amazing, what camera do you have?

Bryn said...

I loved those fashion shows we used to have. I know the girls will love having them for you, as you can already tell. They obviously have your fashion sense!

Anonymous said...

My first thought was, "oh no. More snow?!" I feel for you... :)

And I "get" your fashion shows. Having three girls myself, we do it daily. whether I like it or not. And they usually do it in my slips and heels. So, not as cute as your gals, more like something that rhymes with "mookers," but fun nonetheless.

And I have to admit. I still do the fashion show thing with my mirror. Sundays are the worst!

Carly said...

Awesome, that is all I have to say. Who doesn't love a good fashion show--especially in mom's clothes (ps. I still love to borrow my mom's clothes when I go home! You might just be starting a never ending fun fest). Keep hangin' in there with the weather!

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love a fashion show!? That is absolutely adorable. I love Gwen's one shoe. It's so cutting edge:) Gabbs and Gwen and going to look back on these times together and remember the time daddy let them get into all mommy's fancy stuff. Then before you know it, they'll be having their own little back to school fashion show.

My sisters and I used to have dress up fashion shows, skits, and yes even music videos. (We made a remake of Footlooses and many other box office hits) My sisters and I were either really confident or had very little self awareness--I'm sure it was a little of both.

Becca said...

I love the hat!!! Hat's make any outfit complete! Man you are once again a great and wonderful fun mom!