5.02.2008

Dramatic


Is it all 3 year olds?

Is it all girls?

Is it a first born child thing?

Or is it just mine? I really need to know. Does anyone else have a drama queen in their home?

Man oh man, has my Gabriella become quite dramatic. The range of emotions this girl has developed kinda caught me off guard. I was not prepared for this already. She can go from crying to laughing back to crying and again to laughing before I even have time to process what is going on. She'll be having fun and playing, then the next thing I know, she's hanging on my leg sobbing.

She's heartbroken if she doesn't get the pink plate or the first vitamin. She's devastated if it's Gwen's turn to open the garage door or pick the song from the FHE jar. She goes into hysterics if Gwen makes it into the tub before she can undress herself and beat her there. And don't even get me started on the drama each morning over her cup lid getting placed perfectly over the Dora with butterflies and NOT over the Dora blowing bubbles.

I try to be patient. I really do try to put her lid on how she likes it. I really, really do try to go slow undressing Gwen so she can make it into the tub first. But sometimes when dramatic behavior follows my valiant efforts, that patience flies out the window and I just don't get it.

And sometimes that dramatic behavior catches me so off guard, I can't help but laugh.

Like when she came crying to me the other day because Gwen had found and was playing with the hairless Ariel Polly Pocket doll that had been lost under the couch for weeks. She was so sad she wasn't playing with her. She's bald! How much fun could that possibly be? I had to laugh.

Or last week when we were in the car with her cousin and they were arguing. Anya would say "Yes you are." Gabs replied, "No, I'm not." "Yes you are." "No, I'm not." When Gabriella was obviously upset and tearful, I asked what was going on. Gabriella responded, "I'm not a cousin. I didn't come from the airport." See, Gabs thinks that her grandma's and grandpa's live at the airport, and we just pick them up when we want to see them. She's a cousin to her family in Arizona and Utah, because we go to the airport to get there. However, she didn't feel like a cousin to Anya, because she didn't come from the airport, Anya did. Again, I had to laugh.

But the best was when she came running from the bathroom where Joe was bathing Gwen. I could see that she was upset and worried about something. She asked me with great concern, "When I grow big, will I get hair on my arms?" I told her she would. Immediate meltdown. "Hair like daddy?" she asked. I quickly realized what had happened. Gabs noticed Joe's arms. Obviously we haven't worn a whole lot of short sleeves around here, since she just now noticed. Apparently she didn't like the way it looked. When Joe told her she would have hair on her arms too, she pictured Joe's arms and she panicked. When she ran to me and asked if she would have hair on her arms and I told her yes, she lost it. It was another good laugh at her dramatic reaction.

I guess that's girls for you. Dramatic. I have years and years to look forward to this. I suppose I deserve my fair share for the drama I'm sure I dealt to my mom. How did she ever make it with 5 girls? I can only hope for the time being that Gwen remains drama free. Because for now, one is about all I can take!

14 comments:

Bryn said...

A bald Ariel? SCARY! Hopefully you found a restful place for that polly pocket to lie! :) Those faces Gabs are making are priceless. That first face looks just like you. Where is that beautiful green field Gwen is standing in? So pretty! I know I complain about how active Dax is, but one thing he isn't is dramatic and I am so thanksful for that! I loved reading this post! xoxox

Anonymous said...

Drama is Anna's middle name. Fart is Olivia's (as in she's a little fart...). And Ellie's is trouble.

Girls are dramatic. It's just a part of their makeup. Scrapes hurt more. Life is harder. And they are more expensive.

BUT, the trade off is huge. When they get big they talk to their mama's more. And help more. And want to be like you.

All that said, I am enjoying Henry! At his age Anna already had a thing for shoes. Henry doesn't even own a pair. Thing are looking up!!!

Jennifer said...

Oh Jamie, welcome to my world. We prayed and prayed that Sara would be a boy. Two girls was already more than I could handle. Three....AHHHH. Emily is the QUEEN of drama.

Becca said...

it's an all of the above thing!!!! My girls are the exact same and we wouldn't have it any other way huh!!!!!

Tasha said...

I would have to say first that 3 is a tuff age - at least for me -(And somehow I can tell that 4 is not going to come easy at first either.) Drama is not the word I would say for Tanner, but actually I could relate a lot to the things you were saying. I have been trying to decide if it is a first child thing too. Maybe. I hope Gwen stays nice and good for you. Your pictures, by the way, are so cute. I loved the expressions of both girls. You really take AMAZING pictures.

Sarah said...

Girl thing? Check. First child thing? Check. At least in our house, for sure. And I agree that 3 is a tough age--whoever said 'terrible twos' hadn't made it to the 3's just yet. =)
It's so great that you've recorded all of these episodes. Drama and all, it's obvious you live your little Gabs. For sure enjoy Gwen while she's still sweet.
And of course you can add me to your blog list already. I added you as 'Chronicles of Chiara.' Ha ha, I think I'm so funny.

Sarah said...

. . . I meant to say it's obvious you lOve your little Gabs. Darn typos--at least the 'O' and the 'I' are neighbors.

Dents said...

Funny thing, we have that same bald ariel polly pocket doll. Apparantly the removable hair is a major design flaw. I like the arm hair reaction. It sounds like Greg and Joe have been having some good laughs playing basketball...when are we going to play softball? Can't we have some fun?

Shanen said...

I LOVE all of the faces. Yes...well at least in my family the drama comes with the girls. Sorry, I don't think it is going away any time soon.

See you in 6 days.

The Seaquist Family said...

Just so you know drama isn't limited to girls...Ryan can sure dish it out. To the point where I don't even go and check anymore when he is crying. And he is SIX. Help! Love the faces!

McCurdy Family said...

A girl thing- definitely. An oldest child thing- definitely (coming from an oldest child). A three year old thing- definitely. Combine the three and you have an Oscar worthy actress!! My daughter lauged out loud at her pics "Look at that silly girl Mommy!"

Cathy said...

Ah, yes, sounds like our house! We have major little girl drama going on. Emma is also starting on the "firsts" ("Mommy, will you open my car door first?) What does it matter, right? By the way, we have the bald Sleeping Beauty Polly Pocket doll!

MyR said...

I just had to laugh at this post because it's all to familiar. I'm glad to know that other girls are totally dramatic over the smallest things and I'm glad to know that you don't have an endless supply of patience either. Sometimes I just want to throw the tantrum with her. I just might try that. Lucky me, I got a boy to follow. I won't have the same drama...I'll just get the trama!

Lisa said...

Megan's dramatics are frustrating at times but it's cute to hear about Gabriella's. It's just amazing how important the pink bowl is or buckling up your seatbelt first. Today I gave Megan the pink bowl she and emily were both asking for and she then said, "i got the pink bowl... ha ha" and I took it right away and gave it to emily. Boy was she sad. -- but hopefully she'll learn for next time... I hate that "ha ha I got it" tone of voice. Your stories are adorable. Keep writing down everything she says and does. She'll get such a kick out of it later!