11.06.2008

Lucky Me

We were all getting along just fine. Who cares if the sun wasn't coming up until 9:00 am? At least we were sleeping until 7:30. Then Sunday rolls around, the time changes and now everything is a mess.
I really hate Daylight Savings. How can "falling" back one hour mess two little girls up so badly? How does "falling" back one hour change the morning wake up call by two and a half hours? For a week? I'm really irritated by this.
Then, there's the fact that I have to go around turning on lights at 3:30 in the afternoon and closing blinds so my whole world isn't exposed to the streets outside our home. Plus, the girls haven't seen their Daddy two nights this week, and I've only seen him a combined total of 7 hours. I'm irritated by this too.
So when we heard Gwen cry out this morning and Gabriella walk into our room, I was too scared to look at the clock. Because it was still dark and I was immediately saying a pray that this wasn't happening. I asked Joe to tell me the time. It was 5:04 am. My days have got to stop starting with a 5, because that irritates me too.
By 5:30, our little full size bed was crammed with two crying girls. I told Joe I felt like crying too. Because we all know what kind of days are followed by nearly a week of early mornings. I told Joe he was lucky that he got to go to work today. I did. I said that out loud. And Gabriella heard me. I immediately wished I could take it back, because I didn't honestly mean it.
Then Gabriella, in all her early morning sweetness, told me not to cry as she clumsily tried to rub her little hand on my cheek in the dark. She said she would be so sad if I went to work too. That she was so lucky to stay home with me.
And that made me feel like crying even more because I feel the same way.
I know I am so lucky to be able to stay home with my girls. I get to hear them read to each other. I get to hear the funny way they change their voices when they are pretending. I get to hear Gabriella's hysterical laugh when she's doing something she know she shouldn't to Gwen. I get to hear "I love you" countless times during the day. I get "thank you's" on a regular basis. I get to laugh at Gwen's pathetic attempts at learning colors. We seriously think she's color blind. The girl just doesn't get it. I get to get hundreds of "invitation's" to party's that Gabriella is throwing in her room. I get hugs and kisses. I constantly get to feel proud of my girls every second, because I am home with them.
I am one lucky momma. I absolutely know that. I wouldn't change being here with my girls for anything. Even if the days are really long sometimes, I still sure am lucky.
But for today, I wish I could go work somewhere else. Because, today, I'm tired. Lucky, but seriously tired.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

If only we could blame the sleep disorders at our house on daylight savings . . . I think it's just part of having kids. It all starts when you're preggo and have to wake up to use the bathroom over and over and over again. Buh-bye sleep.
So I hope you were getting a little extra shut-eye yesterday during the body works class--missed you. It was another sub, and she just about put me to sleep.

Jennifer said...

I hate the getting dark so early in the afternoon too. The kids were able to play outside until 6:00 and now it's almost dark when they get home. Maybe we should sponser a movement to get rid of daylight savings. Or just move to Arizona!

Shanen said...

I am so sorry. I know you need your sleep, and days are ALWAYS long when they start soo early. I'm sorry that Joe hasn't been home much, and that your weekend will even be longer without him. Just smile when you think of Bryn coming on Saturday and the fun you will have. Love you

Anonymous said...

Adam and I were just saying on Sunday morning that Fall back stinks. Everyone is so excited to gain an hour of sleep, but what really happens is little kids wake up earlier. I don't know why, but ALL of my kids did this. Henry wakes up at 4:45 every morning now. He cries so long and hard that all the girls wake up, so by 5:15 I too have a bed full of little girls.

By Tuesday, with Adam gone all week I laid out bowls of cereal the night before and when they rolled in at five I sent them downstairs to the playroom.

I paid for that extra hour of sleep dearly. Because when I came downstairs every single bowl had been emptied, stepped on, and dragged across three rooms.

But, totally worth it. I did it again on Wednesday and Thursday, and you bet I'm doing it tomorrow. Reminds me I need to get new vacuum bags... :)

Jamie C. said...

Julie, I have a list of Confessions of a Pregnant mom, and that, exactly what you said about the cereal is at the top. I don't know when the last time was that my girls ate breakfast at the table. I was starting to feel guilty, but now I feel better that it not just a pregnant thing, but a tired mom thing.
PS-I wrote an e-mail to you at an address I had...did you ever get it?

nicole said...

This is on reason I am so grateful that we don't "spring" or "fall" anywhere in Arizona. Whit has been having the same problem with her boys waking up a ton earlier now that the time has changed. I hope they start to adjust soon and you can get more sleep.

The Seaquist Family said...

I just wrote in my journal yesterday how much trauma has come thanks to daylight savings. WHY WHY WHY! I don't like getting up when the first number on the clock is a 5 either! And the worst part... I didn't even get that "extra" hour of sleep. We forgot and Derek wound up at his church meetings an hour early. But even though we forgot, like the kids understand an extra hour of sleep. Yeah right. Hope it gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

i was just talkin' to sara about daylight savings and i think we should all start a petition or a moms stike or something! i think most moms hate daylight savings. it's such a pain. but on the good side with turning on yout light on at 3:30 you get to spend for money on your electric bill...oh wait that stinks too!

Tasha said...

I am totally with you on day light savings. It has me going crazy too! I am lucky though because breakfast time at our house is "dad time". Brian likes this time with the boys and seriously, it is complete sanity for me. Some mornings I don't ever go back to sleep, but I still refuse to go downstairs until 7am (yes, my kids get up between 6 and 6:30 without the time change! And so just guess what time they were getting up without it . .. more in the number 4's than 5's. That is when "movie time" with a bowl of crackers happen.) Thanks for your encouragment on my blog. I like your annalogy of the whole "climbing a mountain" thing. I will now use that too. I totally related to this entry. I hope today is a better day for both of us!

The Rylanders said...

Amen to that whole post. DST stinks!

Heather said...

I keep thinking of Gabriella wiping your face. What a sweetheart. As much as I hate moments where you wish you could take something back, it sure makes me realize how blessed I am. Hmmm...I had an experience like that just yesterday when Lucy knocked over an entire jewelry display. Yeah, after her quiet and delayed sorry I wish I could take back my frustration.