1.01.2009

Always A Sidekick


Gwen's a good sport. She's a good little sister. She will follow Gabs anywhere and do anything for her hero-her big sister.

The two of them play well together. Very well actually. It's something that even others have said to me. They really are best of friends.

The reason they are best friends and play so well together? Gwen is happy to be the sidekick.

When they play Dora, Gabs is Dora, and Gwen loves to be Boots.

When they are playing Cinderella, Gabs has to be Cinderella and Gwen convincingly plays the prince.

When Gabriella wants to play pet shop owner, Gwen will crawl around like a dog while Gabs pulls her along with a ribbon leash.

When Gabriella has a friend over, Gwen is told to be a monster and scare them. She happily obliges.

When Gabriella gets her cape out and acts like a queen, Gwen is given a pointy hat and wand and is told to be a witch. She has that witch cackle down.

I especially love when they play house. Gabs plays the mom and Gwen gets to be the baby. She sits in her dolls high chair and Gabriella and I laugh as she waves her arms and fake cries for food. Gabs also gets to pick out their clothes as "mom" and that's always colorful. (See picture above)

Being the little sister can be hard. But for Gwen, she's just happy to play along, however she is told. It makes my heart swell to see them play together and get along so well. I hope they always remain this close. Because I've witnessed the days when Gwen is not content being the sidekick, and it's not pretty. Soon she's going to realize that the prince is a boy and Boots is a boy, and the witch is mean and crawling on the floor hurts your knees....and when that day comes, we are going to be in a hurt of trouble over here.

10 comments:

Shanen said...

Well just wait for a few more months and you will have a boy to play that game. Ok well maybe more than a few months, but none-the-less someone will take over those roles. The girls are adorable and look so cute on that fence. We missed you today. Love you.

Tasha said...

The truth is she may realize all those things someday, but she may also realize the blessing of being a sister too. I really don't think there is anything better. Carly and I were best friends from such a young age and although at times we had our small tiffs and differences, in the end we always played out as best friends. I hope your girls will have the same thing. I think that is one reason I want at least two little girls . . . I adore my sisters! Each and every one of them. I love hearing and watching your two little girls and I LOVE that Gwen likes being the side kick. There are good things to being that sidekick too :)

Donnell Allan said...

This post was so particularly lovely that I linked to it on one of my blogs. I hope you don't mind. Thank you for sharing your world in such a positive way. :0)

Stacey B. said...

I remember the day that Ryan realized he could make his own choices. He has been a toughie ever since. He never just goes along with Alli anymore, unless HE wants to. I think both sides are good, and surprisingly, they still play well together. Usually.
Alli is so excited for school on Monday. I hope you're ready, because she is!

Becca said...

sisters are the best! rolls will change and some where down the road Gabs will look to her and want to borrow her cloths and have her cool hair and be cool like her younger sister!!!It happened to us!

The Seaquist Family said...

I guess the good news for Gwen is that when she figures out she doesn't want to be Boots anymore and wants to be Dora, she will have her very own BOY sidekick who will be Boots and if he doesn't want too...well, guess he can be Diego.

Honeycombs said...

You girls are really so cute and I think they could get along with just about anyone. I missed seeing you at church even if it was just in the chapel for a few minutes.

Bryn said...

I love that Gwen just plays along! I can finally see the boys interacting like buddies. Wyatt is starting to "play" more rather then terrorize and Dax is fianlly starting to share rather than steal. I hope these two play as well as I saw Gwen and Gabs playing when I was there!!

Erin said...

Natalie has just recently decided to assert herself and not always go along with Andrew's games. Is it a rule that the oldest always has to be the boss? Andrew seems to think so, but Natalie is now not so sure... The day may come that your girls reach that point too, but hopefully they will still play together well. They are definitely cuties!

Lisa said...

Beautifully written Jamie. Sounds a lot like our house only Emily and Megan are the sidekicks. They have their moments but are generally thrilled to do anything Katie thinks up!