6.19.2009

I'm Horrible

I feel like I'm running in a million different directions lately.
It's impossible to run fast with three kids, but I'm still going in all kinds of directions.
I had errands to run today so off we went.
There's a window of time for perfect shopping when you have a baby who eats every three hours.
I had to hurry.
So our first stop was Costco. That went well. We got lunch to go. Three hot dogs and two sodas. We walked out with our food in hand. We had places to go and things to do.
I drove to our next stop and quickly shoved my hot dog down before we went in the store. I unloaded Gabs and Gwen, who were still working on their hot dogs, and carried the car seat in while trying to hold two sets of hands. That stop went well too.
Then we drove across the street to the super market and dollar store. Gabs had finished her hot dog (aka finished half of it) and Gwen was still eating (aka destroying) hers while holding it in her little hands. She still had about 3/4 of it left to eat and we had left Costco about an hour earlier.
Why do I always buy the girls each a gigantic Costco hot dog when I know they never finish them? Because heaven forbid the girls split a hot dog. They want their own. And yet, every time, I'm left with two half eaten hot dogs and buns picked to pieces. It's gross.
But, I got all of the kids out of the car, Gwen's disgusting hot dog included, and went inside.
After about the 43rd person told me I had my hands full, I was on a mission to hurry these errands along. I was pushing Henry in the cart and the girls were given strict orders to follow me and not dilly-dally. I barely looked back the entire time. Just kept right on moving. Telling the girls to keep up. And they did beautifully.
Supermarket a success. Dollar store. Success. Everything went smoothly and I got to the car before Henry had to eat again. Groceries loaded. Kids loaded.
Hot dog, not loaded.
It was gone.
And I didn't go back to find it.
No way. Not with a starving baby, a car seat to lug around (how heavy do they make those things anyway these days?), cream puffs that needed to make it into the freezer 30 minutes ago, and four little, s l o w feet. Nope. Not gonna happen.
So, sorry to the person who found my daughters nasty half eaten hot dog in the aisles of Safeway or the Dollar Tree.
Today, I'm totally that mother.
I'm horrible, huh?

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Every mother's been there. We totally understand.

nicole said...

So you're one of THOSE moms huh? =) It's totally understandable and I think at some point, all of us have been there. Hopefully whoever came across her hot dog also saw her with her hot dog. That way, Gwen will be easily forgiven because she's so dang cute. Love you.

The Seaquist Family said...

Hey, all I have to say is that at least it wasn't vomit you left behind. Yep, I've been that mother. Although I did wait until someone came to start cleaning it up. Come to think of it, I've been that mother several times. Love the story. And the girls probably didn't even remember that the hot dog was gone. Classic!

Stacey B. said...

Sometimes you just gotta cut your loses, right? Although the worst thing would be if Gwen remembered that she lost it, then you have to explain to her why you can't go get it and that you are so sorry, blah blah blah. If she forgot, so much the better.

Heather said...

No way! That was a hot dog I found?! Just kidding. You're too funny.