12.23.2009

Memory Lane

**Post edit note- I have come back to add a few more now that I have time, because it's my journal and I can do whatever I want**
St. Louis, Missouri 03.27.2005
Steilacoom, Washington 08.15.2005
Steilacoom, Washington 05.19.2006
Gilbert, Arizona 05.28.2006
Point Defiance Zoo 05.29.2006
Internship Graduation 06.02.2006
Christmas picture 12.03.2006
Steilacoom, Washington 05.24.2007
Helper, Utah 07.13.2009
Sea Word, San Diego, CA 09.11.2007
Laie Temple, Hawaii 02.19.2008
Alaskan Cruise 05.12.2008
Our home (picture courtesy of Gabs) 10.12.2008
Delivery room with Henry 03.11.2009
Tulip Festival 04.23.2009
Ruby Beach 06.13.2009
Ft. Lewis, Washington 08.30.2009

It's our anniversary. Yes, we got married the day before Christmas Eve. We just wanted to be married already. And not wait another minute. So December 23 it was.
I wanted to gather pictures of Joe and I over the last nine years and take a stroll down memory lane. But as it turns out, I only have pictures on this computer starting when we got our first digital camera, so we're short the first 4 years of marriage. The "childless" years. And then the next five years have been filled with children, thus resulting in very few pictures of just the two of us. We'll have to be better about getting some pictures of us minus the kids.
I have been thinking about the Joe I married nine years ago, and the Joe I am married to today. Our lives have changed so much. We both have changed so much. But I could have told you nine years ago exactly where we would be today (maybe not geographically, but definitely where we would be in our life). We had it all planned out. And things have gone exactly according to plan.
And though we've changed and grown up, the things I fell in love with about Joe all those years ago, still remain. I'd love to be able to sit here and record all the sappy reasons I love my husband, but I can't. The truth is, both Joe and I aren't that sappy. We're more sarcastic and not-so-serious. So, along with the sappy, more important, reasons I love my husband (which he already knows those reasons), I'll list the not so sappy, probably not important reasons why I love my husband. And when I say, "not important reasons" I mean to say, to me, they are important and make Joe who he is, but to you, they are superficial and not "real" reasons to love someone. But honestly, I think the kids will love to, one day, read these not-important reasons, because they identify Joe and they'll remember these things about him.
1. I love his signature red St. Louis Cardinals hat. It's part of his identity. He wears it and it's just him. He's tried blue and white, but always goes back to red. Everyone knows Joe wears a red hat.
2. I love his passion for ugly belt buckles. A few months after we were married we took a trip to Rosarito beach in Mexico. Joe decided he needed this awful Scorpion belt buckle with mother of pearl surrounding it. It was terrible and he gave the guy way to much money for it (but that's Joe, he always is greatly generous to people who are less fortunate). In college he owned a belt buckle that had "Slayer" written across it. This desire for ugly belt buckles has now turned into a hobby of mine, and I am constantly on the look out for the next awful belt buckle. The bigger, uglier, and dumber they are, the better. When we go on trips or are searching through garage sales or flea markets, it's my mission to pick up a horrible belt buckle for Joe. It's weird, but it's something else that identifies Joe to a "T".
3. The man loves food. Eating, cooking, or buying food makes him SO happy. I didn't expect this when we got married, but the thing we love to do most together is cook. We love trying new recipes and being together in the kitchen. Our holidays, Sundays and any evenings he's home revolve around food and spending good quality time in the kitchen together. Our first year of marriage we went out to eat a lot. We were always disappointed in our meals and hated spending money on bad food. So we decided each Friday night we would make and try a new recipe. That's what sparked our love for cooking. Now, instead of going out on special occasions (anniversaries, Valentines, etc.) we try and recreate dishes from restaurants we love. I imagine us being 60 and still cooking together. It makes me happy.
4. I love his "Joe" language. He says things like, "train wreck" and "hammered" and "debacle". He is always coming up with the perfect word or phrase to describe something. And it's always exaggerated and hilarious.
5. He's easily embarrassed. He conveniently leaves the room when someone is about to do something stupid on TV (he spends the whole 30 minutes of The Office in the kitchen trying not to watch). He hides his face in his hands during dance recitals and children's programs because he's so embarrassed at the things little kids are doing in front of an audience. I give him a hard time about this one, because he is always getting up and leaving a potently embarrassing situation (on TV or real life). I roll my eyes and shake my head, but it honestly was the first thing I loved about him when we started dating. He fidgets and does whatever he can to distract himself from witnessing something embarrassing. But to me, it's endearing.
6. He's sensitive. I love that Joe can tear up and be vulnerable. It's especially sweet when it's over a Christmas story I'm having him read before I share it in a lesson or when it's at the girls dance recital because he's so proud. He gets emotional in movies and when our children are born. I honestly love when I see him cry, he just gets a look in his eyes that makes me love him even more.
7. He is a crazed BYU fan. Honestly CRAZED. I give him a bunch of bunk for being so dedicated to his cougars, but it's in his blood. It's who he is. He loves them come hell or high water or Gary Crowton years. I think it's fun to have a husband so die hard about something like this. Lots of teasing potential and making fun, because he knows he's pathetic. He paces, and bites his nails. He losses his appetite hours before the game and gets sweaty palms during the game. I can't even sit too close to him while the game is on, because he shakes and fidgets the whole time. But is doesn't stop there. Oh no. Once the game is over, there is hours of post game discussion with old friends and family afar. Then there is the hours of Internet browsing. Reading articles and cougar board and anything else that might closely relate to BYU football. He loves those Cougars and I can honestly say now (after 9 years of marriage) that I love that he loves the Cougars. It's adorable. And I might love the Cougars a little too. :)
Well, I planned on recording at least nine reasons, but he got home from work earlier than I thought, so we are set to make some croquetas (a favorite from Joe's mission in Spain) for our anniversary dinner.
Happy anniversary Joseph. I love you!

1 comment:

Shanen said...

I love that, and that is a good thing he got home earlier than you expected. So maybe it was a 7 hour day? or was it 10? That is a fun list, finish it up one of these days. I hope your dinner was wonderful. I love you