
a family picture-don't have too many of these
Lake Union and gas works park

our hilarious captain

a perspective of just how close we were to the water
Sleepless in Seattle home

space needle from Lake Union
This past long weekend, my parents came for one last visit before we leave. At the top of my list of things to do while they were here was to go on the Duck Tour of Seattle. I have always wanted to go on one, and my parents (who are world travelers) had never been on one before (they are in all major cities with land and water, ie. Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, London, etc). We gave my parents a "Seattle experience" Christmas present a few years ago, so we decided the Duck Tour would be the perfect thing to do with them.
Basically, you take a World War II amphibious vehicle around the Seattle waterfront, Pikes Place Market, Pioneer Square, and other places on land, then the vehicle goes to a boat launch to Lake Union and drives right into the water, and you float around Lake Union for part of the tour.
The ride was hysterical. The tour guide/captain was a riot. We couldn't stop laughing. He was absolutely crazy. We started out by doing donuts in the parking lot before the tour began and never stopped laughing for the next 2 1/2 hours. He honked at poor, random pedestrians and played loud, obnoxious music (think Brick House and Play That Funky Music) throughout the entire ride. That was Henry's favorite part. He sat still (which he doesn't seem to know how to do AT ALL anymore) on Joe's lap and laughed and danced to the music. The girls blew their little duck whistles and were entertained waving at the people on the sidewalk. My parents and Joe and I just kept looking at each other the whole time laughing. It was honestly the most fun! Worth every single penny.
On the tour we saw the hotel where the Beattles stayed and fished out their window, where Elvis Presley got his car washed (my mom's favorite of all time), where they shoot the outside shots of the Grey's Anatomy hospital (that's not a hospital at all, just a bunch of buildings), a famous recording studio, the Deadliest Catch barge, where they've filmed The Amazing Race finish line, and of course, the Sleepless in Seattle floating home.
It was a little scary to drive right into the water in a car. Half the vehicle was submerged in water. And, at first, the girls wanted to get off. You could put your hand out the window and touch the water. But it was so cool to be floating out there. While we were on the lake, a by plane flew right over us and landed on the lake just down from us. The information we got while on the water was really interesting too.
I can't recommend this enough. Our group enthusiastically gives it 14 thumbs up! One "to-do" down, about 37 to go.

5 comments:
You guys are just too much fun! I love that you are seeing so many things while you live there. I think I should sit and write all the things I want to do with my boys while we live where we live even if it is where we stay forever. you never know, and then we might actually go out and do some fun things! I am glad this was such a fun adventure. Sure sounded fabulous to me!
What a crack up! I can tell just by the picture how your tour guide was such a hoot. That looks so amazing and a great way to experience the city! You tell me, am I coming back to WA for one more hurah before you move to help you with a few items on that list or are you saving me for KS?
What a fun way to see the city. I'm sure you all enjoyed yourselves. Mom and dad said it was one of their best visits. I'm glad you got something else checked off your list!
That's so funny because I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering when we could get to Seattle to do it. Now, I am going to have to make it a priority. That sounds so fun! Thanks for the push to get out and do it.
That is so fun! Maybe we'll do the one in London... thanks for the idea. Beautiful pictures. So fun to see you guys!!
Post a Comment