
Today Gabriella had her first day of Kindergarten. Yes, I know it's February. But she got accepted into an early Kindergarten Pilot program and it started today. Now, for five days a week, until the end of the year, Gabs will be attending 1/2 day kindergarten. She will LOVE it.
But, to say that one little three year old girl is going to be really bored without her big sister is a huge understatement.
And, I haven't yet broke it to Gwen that next year, Gabs will be going to Kindergarten from 8:40 am to 3:35 pm. All day Kindergarten in Kansas. Nearly seven hours of education. Is that really necessary for a five year old? Don't they deserve to play for one more year before the next 17 years of full time school sets in? I'm really not loving the idea.
Any experienced opinions on the matter?

13 comments:
I sent my first two kids to Kindergarten (now in 1st and 2nd grade)and if I had it to do over again, I'd have kept them home.
To keep it short - Kindergarten was a phenomenal waste (of time, learning opportunities, and their childhood).
But several hours of structured social interaction and learning are important for a 5 year old. Especially if by the time she gets to 1st grade all of her peers are going to already be used to 7 hour days away from home.
If you really can't stomach the idea of full day school, I'd suggest a co-op/homeschool sort of thing with 3-5 kids -- have a structured cirriculum and schedule.
And there are always private institutions that offer 1/2 day Kindergarten programs (for a price). . .
But you don't know the town or people yet and that makes advanced planning tough.
That is just the sweetest picture of Gwen. How she is going to miss her sister! You better have lots of fun things planned for that girl. How was Gabriella's first day of school? Did she just love it?
I don't have any advice, but I totally sympathize. I have a hard enough time letting my kids go all day in first grade, and they are the oldest ones there with birthdays in September. I would not be loving all day K. They really do change a lot when they are gone from home all day!!!! I miss them! (most times)
Gwen is such a cutie. I just love that sad look on her face. How fabulous that Gabs got into an pilot program of early Kindergarten. I am sure she will just love it. And it will transition her into full, day next year. Tanner only has half day, but the other elementry school in our ward is full day starting after the first quarter. A lot of my friends actually liked it because the kids got more "play" time in Kindergarten. I don't know how I would feel about it. I am sure she will do great in whatever she has.
She will love Kindergarten, how fun!! Starting K has been the greatest thing for Luke. He is happier, more helpful and has come far socially.
All day is a long day for 5 year old's but she'll be used to it before you know it. It all depends on the School and the Teacher. Luke is, academically, testing at least 1 grade above but the School has great programs and a great teacher who engages him in the right ways. I have never thought anything about it's been a waste on our end.
Anyhow, it all sounds very exciting. I think the all day will be harder on all of the Mommies than the kids. In fact, Im sure of it. :)
You know, I felt the same way before Anna started kindergarten. We have all day kindie as well and I thought it was too long.
HOWEVER, when we actually started school I was amazed by how well she did. It is a long day and the first few weeks she will be tired, but she'll get used to it quickly. When I think about it, I don't know how any school can teach what they need to without doing a full day. Kindergarten is not like we remember. They actually have desks and learn. I only remember playing and crafts!
When it does get overwhelming, or I can sense they are overworked, I take my kids out of school for a "mental health sick day." We live it up and do all the things we wish we could do if we weren't at school. They love it, I love it, and I don't feel bad because they are still newbies.
Good luck!
I am torn on this as Sydney is in kindergarten and it is the shortest I have ever heard of she goes for 2 and half hours and I think she could use a little more as she get so bored at home. I don't know Gabs is like Sydney in that she is older and I think that this pre-k will be a good way of sorting out what she needs. When we were in Florida she was going 3 and half hours 5 days a week for a pre-k and loved it so I knew she would be ok and was sad it is so short here. Gabs is a smarty so she might get bored but maybe they have advanced classes!! Good luck it is also a good thing to get to spend time with the Gwen and Henry while she is gone.
But I do like the idea of pulling her out for a day every now and then and letting her be kid with mom and brother and sister!!!
ALL DAY KINDERGARTEN ROCKS. I HAVE HAD ONE THAT DID HALF DAY AND ONE WHO DID FULL DAY AND BY FAR, THE ALL DAY IS SO MUCH BETTER. THEY ARE LEARNING SOCIALIZATION AND SELF CONTROL (AT LEAST THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO) AND GET THE TIME AWAY THEY REALLY DO NEED. DON'T THINK I DIDN'T BAWL MY EYES OUT FOR BOTH WHEN THEY WENT TO SCHOOL, BUT WHEN MY OLDEST WAS IN HALF DAY IT WAS SUCH A WASTE OF TIME AND QUITE FRANKLY, I ENDED UP ALMOST HOME SCHOOLING HIM TO MAKE UP FOR THE HOURS HE WAS NOT IN SCHOOL.
LIKE JULIE SAID, THE FIRST FEW WEEKS ARE TOUGH. THEY ARE OVER TIRED AND IT GETS HARD TO BE AWAY FROM MOM AND THE OTHER KIDS WHO ARE HAVING SO MUCH FUN PLAYING AND WATCHING CARTOONS, BUT IT FADES AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT... THEY CAN NOT WAIT TO GO AND SEE THIER FRIENDS!
YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT AND YOUR LITTLE ONES WILL ADJUST JUST AS QUICKLY! SHE WILL REALIZE HOW MUCH ATTENTION SHE WILL NOW GET!!!
Cannon and Miya have had all day kindergarten and before Miya started I was so sad about all day. My kids love it, love their computer teacher, love the other kids, love recess, love lunch, love to read, love math, love singing time...all of these things they get to do because they are in all day.
I know see all day kindergarten as a blessing.
If given a choice, I would not have picked the full day initially. All day kindergarten is a very long day, but I have been extremely impressed with how our school runs it. Her class rotates between 4 "specials" classes (Art, Spanish, PE and Music), and I can't believe how much she has learned just in those classes! Her K teacher uses the classroom time constructively, yet she gets lots of playtime. Emma has learned so much more than she would have in a co-op/homeschool or half-day kindergarten class. And, she loves it! She does very well with structure, learning, and socializing. The down side is that I miss her and she comes home tired. The other downside is that, because I am a clingy Mom, and it was hard for me to let her go (still is!), but I know it's the best thing for her. Like someone else already said, it all depends on the teacher and how the school structures the full day. Gabriella is so bright and energetic that I'm sure she'll love it!
Brienna loved all day kindergarten. I was hesitant about signing her up for it, but once school started I never regretted it. I was able to volunteer a lot and and loved being in the classroom so I knew what was going on and who all her new friends were. That went a long way toward easing my mind. She had no trouble letting go, but it was hard for me. :)
Thanks for all the encouraging words about full day K. I have heard wonderful things about the schools in Kansas, but it is nice to hear that there were other doubters out there that were pleasantly suprised at how much they liked all day K. I hope we're the same.
Hmmm . . . I feel like a bit of loser now. I'm the only one who didn't think Kindergarten was wonderful!
Oh well - it wasn't.
I didn't go into details, but the teacher was awful and it was only 1/2 day which was profoundly disruptful to the rest of the family (think infant and toddler naps).
Maybe that was the issue. The teacher was rotten (all the moms agreed on that) and the schedule was too.
Full day, with a different teacher might have been the solution.
Good Luck!
Post a Comment