love this picture of william and henry. my view from the kitchen. classic scene from my house while i make dinner.
Our family of six barely fits into our seven passenger vehicle. Which, by the way, they're stretching it when they say it seats seven. Really, it's a five seater that has two seats in the back that munchkins can fit into. Or children under 6. And when you are driving around those extra munchkins you've totally eliminated the space you once had for strollers or groceries. It clearly doesn't work.
Our second car bit the dust months ago. The only reason we still drive it (and by that I mean, Joe) is in hopes that it will catch on fire and we can get some money out of it. So far no fire.
We need a new car.
And when you have a family our size that will continue to grow, there are really only two options.
Mini Van. Or Suburban.
Let the debate begin.

15 comments:
I LOVE my mini-van!!! I know I'm not the most stylish driver out there but it was cheaper than an SUV and the gas mileage is much better. I love that my kids can get in and out on their own without being worried they will fall. I love that I don't have to crawl up inside to buckle the baby in. I love the automatic sliding doors.
So...there are my two cents! Good luck!
I love a mini van for when you kids are younger, get the suburban when they are teenagers and might be embarrased by the mini van. With the mini van, my favorite feature is the automatic doors that wont pinch their fingers and they can't hit the car next to them when you park.
What about a crossover? There are some really nice ones that seem to have more space--almost as much as a minivan.
That said, I've been happy with our minivan (Mazda MPV which isn't made anymore). I love the Toyota commercials calling it a 'swagger wagon.' Minivans get a bad rap.
A suburban is too gigantic for me, but I like hitching rides with Priscilla and owning the road with her. =)
Good luck!
We just got the new Honda Odyssey and its amazing! It doesn't feel like one of the vans I remember from childhood! Lots of cool features and the space is amazing! I really didn't want a van but I am starting to convert to how amazing they can be for the time in your life when you have small kids and car seats!
We are in the same boat. I want a minivan for the sheer convience of the older kids getting themselves to the back on their own and there is so much room. I just want all the bells and whistles so we are still in a debate as to when and how. Our baby number 4 (which is a boy and we are naming Henry) comes in June and I would like to have it by then but we shall see. Mike is still driving that blue thing that was my car just out of high school it too is a disaster waiting to happen.
odyssey. that's all :)
I had to drive the Ford Excursion for a couple of years and now that I don't have to, I do my best to stay away from it. Too big & inconvenient in everyday running around. I never wanted to be a "mini-van mom", but I have to agree, the new Honda Odysseys are nice! I don't know how close the Suburban is in size to the Excursion, but I would vote Honda Odyssey. Also, my sister has loved hers.
Joe is probably sick to his stomach right now if he has read any of these comments, or if you are relaying them to him. We've already had this conversation, so I can't wait to see what you decide. Any just remind Joe that if he gets his way and you get the suburban, it will bee too big for him and his driving skills and he is off limits. =) Love you.
Keep the comments coming ladies. I think we're breaking him. I am not dying over the idea of a mini van either, I think I'll just see the practicality of getting a mini van, and I need practical right now in my life. We'll see what I think when we go look at them. I read Joe the comments this morning and he told me to delete this post right away... :)
I have a crossover, Ford Freestyle, they don't make it anyone. I LOVE it, it was my answer to the mini-van. I have loathed them for years. One thing to watch with crossovers is they are more narrow than the suburban. I cannot fit 3 kids next to each other in the middle seat. I can fit 4 kids with comfort, but that's it. There are times when I wish I'd gotten the mini-van. Usually in parking lots when I can't get the doors open and get kids in/out. It's easier to climb into a mini than mine. If I had to to it over again...I think I'd suck it up and buy a mini-van. Good luck with the hunt.
I have my toyota highlander and like you - whatever crazy person said it seats seven, is just that crazy! I WANT a mini van. The gas mileage is the killer, plus in 10 years Gabs can drive it - because how can you be a wild and crazy driver in a mini van. Good luck. Get Joe the leather seats that have the warmers in them, maybe that will warm him to the idea. :)
Precious picture! I have a Suburban... But a minivan, gas wise, sure would be nice.
Good luck. I love my mini-van, but really some of my friends have some cool suburbans. Good luck my friend.
We looked at both because my brothers all have Expeditions and I figured they can't be so bad. But they pose the same problem as your Commander, there isn't enough room for a stroller and groceries if all the seats are used. Plus they cost about $10K more than my Toyota Sienna. I love the Sienna because the kids can open the doors easily and get in without help. Plus, we have the 8 seater and it comfortably seats 8 people, even with car seats and boosters all around. The mini-van has way better gas mileage and its safer since it is built lower to the ground. An SUV is built like a truck with bad gas mileage and a greater chance of rolling over in an accident.
There you go. My completely one-sided 2 cents. :) Good luck!
I love my mini van!
Post a Comment