I had to fill out a form for our new car (guess what we got) and I stared at that line next to "occupation". I usually leave that line blank. But I really hate that line. I could fill it in with any of the above and it'd be true, especially that part about being a riot, but I choose to just skip right over it. I skip over it, because I don't know what to put there. How do I summarize what I do everyday into an occupation title? What I do is the most important job there is. Yet, I still leave that lousy little line blank. Then I let it bug me forever that I didn't fill it in. So, from here on out, I'm filling that line in. It will read "I am a mother" from now on. And I am proud of that.
Post-edit note: I came back and re-read this post. I asked Joe how to spell "sew-er" (as in seamstress-but that sounds too professional. I'm just a sew-er.) Well, he told me. I said, "Doesn't that spell sewer though?" Yes, yes it does. But in this case both apply. I am a sew-er. And a sewer-someone who carries waste matter for dumping. Yes. That is me too. I'm up to my elbows in sewerness.

7 comments:
I really think this is one of my favorite posts of yours. I hate that silly line too. I feel like writing down "mother" simply doesn't encapsulate all that we do, but leaving that line blank doesn't do us justice either.
Have you heard of Jane Clayson Johnson's book with that exact title? She's the news anchor who gave up a big promotion to get married and have kids. I've not read it myself, but others who have rave about it.
Speaking of mothering, I'm still pregnant. More pregnant than I've ever been. I just might blog about it since I never blog anymore. Let's hope this baby comes soon.
And you are a riot--a pure delight to have as a friend.
As for the car, my guess is an Odyssey, but a spiffed up one. How cute will you be in that?!?!
You are SO MUCH more than that list too!!!
I'm hoping you went with a van because you'll LOVE it!
The book Sarah referred to by Jane Clayson Johnson is AWESOME!!! My mom bought it for me on CD a few years ago and I've listened to it quite a few times.
You are the best. I always put "homemaker" on that line and feel kind of lame. That doesn't really state what we do either. I love all the things you do. And just so you know when I read sewer I was totally thinking sewing...I got it...but then completely cracked up at the end with the sewer (trash/waste) bit. Yep. Definatly that too.
Executive Homemaker of course!
Oops! That last post was really me!-Rachel Phillips. I'm just using Nathan's laptop. hee hee
What a great Post Jamie, and your friend Sarah that commented about the book by jane Clayson Johnson Pretty amazing story there. So my guess is a Minivan???? I'm anxious to know so I'm going to call. HEHE
Post a Comment