To say I'm excited for a date with my husband and NO children is a huge understatement. I need this date. I don't know why we don't do it more. I know it is vital to a healthy relationship. But we slip into those reasons of not having a babysitter, or not wanting to spend the money, or the kids are too young, blah blah blah. It's just excuses. The truth is, we're not putting each other first enough.
Last week I was preparing for my Relief Society lesson and I found a marriage book Joe and I got before we were married. I have been reading it again. I was shocked when I got to Chapter 10 titled The Middle Years. "The middle years are largely occupied with learning to deal with careers, changes in financial status, the responsibilities of assuming larger roles in church and society, and the increasing demands of children." Check, check, check and check. I still think of Joe and I as "newlyweds." It's hard to believe we've been married ten years. But then I'm reminded of a move to medical school for 4 years, a move to residency for 5 years and a move to Kansas with 4 little babies born in the midst of all that, and I can't believe it's only been 10 years.
As I read through the chapters describing the "marital meltdown" that occurs between 30-50 year olds who have been married more than a decade, I was comforted knowing that Joe and I are not melting down. Thanks goodness. I already knew that, but it's nice being reminded. What struck me though was the phrase "neglect of the marriage." I'm afraid we have fallen a bit into neglecting our marriage. We stand by one another through all we can. We devote so much time and energy together to our children, work, church and our home that we have forgotten to find those meaningful, alone moments as spouses.
So tonight, I will be dusting off my heels and earrings and I will be going on a date with my good looking husband. It can't come soon enough. And the truth is, for once, I won't even miss my children. Is that bad?

6 comments:
I am a true believer that by going on those weekly dates you are doing your kids a HUGE favor! Find a babysitter you trust and make arrangements for your weekly dates. Surely there is someone (or as my friend does - two sisters) who would be happy to earn some money on a regular basis. And before you know it, Gabs will be old enough to do the tending you for a couple of hours. If we lived nearby, I would volunteer to watch your kids but then again, we'd want to be with you and Joe. :)
PS - I have the same book. I should probably pull it off the shelf and read it again.
PSS - One more thought. I heard this recently in a marriage class and laughed: "Babysitters are cheaper than divorce." Some more good words of wisdom: "If the perfect man married the perfect woman, he'd shoot her if she didn't poison him first." Hee, hee.
I hope you enjoy the entire date. I couldn't agree more with you or Jennifer.
Cracking up right now. You are so awesome. And I totally agree with you. We have to really think to have a date night. And Christian babysitting at 12 (he is almost 11) is so NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Whole new problem that I have no solution for. Enjoy your date night. May there be many more to follow.
Yeah! A date night! I remember when it was hard to organize and that for years and years we had a newborn hanging out with us too. Now I have jumped to the next level with a babysitter (or 2) at home. It's amazing. Enjoy -- and just schedule it and make it a priority! Oh, and miss the kids? Are you kidding. No way.
Post a Comment