

Today we took a trip to the coast for the Kite Festival in Long Beach, Washington. Besides the foggy skies, misty air and windy wind, it was a prefect day at the beach. There were plenty of kites flying and the crowd still showed up. We took a walk through the thick of competition and show kites and enjoyed watching the amazing flyer's do all kinds of tricks with beautiful kites. Gabriella was really excited about "catching" a kite. Big surprise, she wanted the pink ones!
Joe brought the kite he bought a few years ago when we went to the coast for the day. I don't think I will ever forget that day. We tried everywhere to buy a kite, and finally found a place in downtown Olympia that sold all kinds of kites. We walked in and Joe decided he needed the most complicated looking kite there was. I let my skepticism be known, but he insisted that he needed the $40 kite with multiple strings and handles to do dives and turns and such in the air. When we got to the beach it was beautiful...the foggy skies were blue, the air was clear and the wind, well the wind didn't exist. He ran up and down that beach so many times trying to get that stupid kite in the air...he practically didn't talk on the way home he was so worked up that he couldn't get it to fly. I didn't have to remind him that a normal, simple kite would have flown all day, he already knew that. I tease him every so often about the kite investment.
Today, however, the gloomy weather allowed for a much more enjoyable flying experience and he had success flying the kite right next to our blanket...hardly ran at all.
Just as the weather was really starting to turn sour, Gwen let us know that it was time to go, she was done. We found this darling little diner on our way out of town. It was an old train caboose turned restaurant. It had a train track hanging from the ceiling with a working train running and all kinds of old railroad signs and train equipment. We enjoyed the best clam chowder we've had to date, along with halibut and clams. It was an outing definitely worthy of making it on our favorite summer things to do list. 


6 comments:
What a fun day, it seems like you guys just have endless things you can do in that state. I need to get back up there to visit. Love you
Sounds like such a fun day. I love reading about all the fun things you do as a family. Love you.
Sounds like so much fun!! Everytime we go to the coast we always forget to bring a kite! You should totally frame that black and white picture, it is priceless!
That sounds like it was such a fun day. Makes me want to fly kites with the kids, they would love to do that. And I love your pictures.
Your photos are so gorgeous what a great photographer you are! I didn't even know WA had a Long Beach?!
I LOVE the last photo with all the kites. It's beautiful! Thanks for all your comments, Jamie. It's so much fun to hear from people and see how everyone is doing. You have a beautiful family and are a great Mom. Lucky kids.
Post a Comment