8.20.2007

Going On A Berry Hunt


I realized tonight as Joe was grilling, once again, in the rain, that summer is almost over. The weather here in Washington has been less than satisfying to say the least this summer. We've had many weekends, including this one, where plans have been cancelled due to rain. I love summers in Washington, but this one has left me feeling those blues I get all winter long...seasonal affective disorder is even worse when it's affecting you in August! I'm just hoping this crummy summer weather means a not so bad winter. We'll see. Luckily, we still have our highly anticipated California trip planned, and family lined up to visit in October.

Although the weather hasn't been cooperating fully, I do love the things we get to do during these fine summer months. Here are a few of our favorite summer things:

1. Picking Berry's. Gabs always sings "going on a berry hunt (instead of bear hunt)" so I told her we were going to a surprise. She said "is it a mystery?" Where does she get these words, have I ever used the word mystery to her, ever? So I said, "yes, it's a mystery" Many may not find the fun in picking blueberries, but she was thrilled and loved singing about her berry hunt...plus the berries are free for the public to pick! They made delicious pancakes.

2. Free Summer Movies at Regal's. Why don't they have these in the winter when you actually want to sit inside with a bag of popcorn? Lucky for us, it rained lots, so we took advantage and saw some fun shows.

3. Walking, actually walking, to the library and post office, instead of loading in the car for the four block drive.

4. Going to the pool.

5. Eating dinner on the patio.

6. Garage Sales.

7. Flea Markets. Which have fabulous flowers, walla walla onions, and cherries. But not as fabulous as...

8. Buying Rainer cherries at the stands off the side of the road. Yummy!

9. Taking a blanket and eating sandwiches on the beach while watching the boats on the Sound.

10. Getting ice cream from the ice cream truck. When did those push up pops start costing $3 anyway?

...Maybe in a few months I will be able to come up with a list of 10 things I love about winter...maybe.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Jamie - We've been telling everyone here how bummed we are to have moved before our perfect Washington summer was over... apparently not this year. So sad. I love your fun list. I'm anxious to figure out our fun list. Miss you.

The Seaquist Family said...

You have been a busy girl with two little ones in tow. Love the list...I should take note. Love your blog - it has been fun to see how much you are Joe have been doing and it is ALOT! :)

Sara said...

I echo you on our bummer summer! It's nice, however, that you can see the bright side of things. We need to go blueberry picking still. Where did you guys go!

Unknown said...

I know what you mean--I guess it's fall already. So jealous of an Oct trip to CA, sounds like just the fix of sunshine you need!

Becca said...

oh you make me miss northern CAlifornia!!!Berry picking was the highlight of my summer in San Fran. Oh what childhood bliss!!!!

Jillyboo said...

You are such a good Mommy, doing all sorts of fun things with your cute family!!! I love the picture on top too, looks like so much fun. Not a lot of berry-picking in the OC.

Shanen said...

James you are soo great with your girls. What a good list. That will be fun to compare a winter list with it. Did you make berry jam?? Love you

nicole said...

What a fun day you must have had. It must be great to get out and do something fun during the summer months. I can't wait to see your winter list. Love you.