

I think I am one of not too many people that can say growing up, I lived my whole life in the same house. I was brought home from the hospital to my house, and lived there until I went to college. A year later, my parents sold the house. I loved that house. If I could, I would go back in time and meet Joe before my house was no longer mine. So he could see where I was raised, where my memories are, where I became me.
I can still picture that house in my mind perfectly. I remember the pictures on the wall. Where my mom hung her apron. Where we kept our color books. What my parents bed spread looked like. What the house looked like on Christmas morning with the furniture rearranged for us all to sit in "our" spots and open presents. What the dead bolt sounded like when you locked it. Where the hollow tile in the kitchen was. Where my brand new bike with sesame street streamers was parked in the back yard for my birthday. I can still hear the sound my moms feet made on the tile when she walked down the hallway from the stairs. I can still see our waffle maker in the bottom cupboard. That house holds so so many memories.
It breaks my heart that my children won't have that same luxury. We could very well live in 5 or 6 homes before we are finally able to settle down. Gabs will only be 5 1/2 when we move from this house. Will she even remember any of it? Will she remember the sky light in the kitchen? Or the sound of our creaky garage door? Will she remember that we've marked her growth in our closet? And where she's marked Gwen's and then continued illustrating on the wall? I have this horrible, sinking feeling, that this house, the house they spent their toddlerhood, will be forgotten in their minds.
Today as we were sitting quietly eating lunch, I looked over and saw Gabriella doing one of my most favorite things. Looking out the window. Our table sits in a small little space. It's an irritatingly small space. Only big enough for the smallest table for four that was once Joe's great aunts table. There isn't any room to put the leaves out, and our place mats overlap when we eat dinner. It's this little space that I complain about the most in this house. But it's this space where so many memories lie. Because right next to our itty bitty table is a huge window that looks onto the street and side walk.
Everyday we sit at this table and look out the window. At breakfast we see kids walking to school and buses driving past. Gabriella learned to say "tree" and "bus" from looking out our window. We see car after car drive by. She's learned her colors by telling me what colors each car was. At lunch we see groups of ladies in their business casual attire and aerobic shoes walking their routine lap around the neighborhood. We watch moms pulling wagons with little ones to go pick up the half day kindergartners. We talk about the retired couples who walk their dogs rain or shine...but mostly rain. The girls always just stare out this window. At dinner time Joe and I are able to sit forever after a meal and talk while Gabriella scoots over to sit on the table while her feet rest on the ledge and watch skateboarders ride by and neighborhood kids riding bikes. It's this window that provides the most light in our house.
So, as we move from place to place I will try to not just take pictures of my children, but take pictures of my children in their environment, their surroundings, their home. So that maybe, just maybe one day they will look at those pictures and remember that old couch, or family picture on the wall. That they might remember the color their walls were painted and the spot where we dropped our shoes. Because, after all, it will be their house, and that is where memories are made.

10 comments:
What a great post! I know your girls are small, but I'm sure they will take so many happy memories with them when you move on to your next home. And besides, just because the surroundings change, doesn't mean the traditions, fun and laughter will. They are so lucky to have you both!
How ironic that you posted that tonight as I sat in tears as we offically started packing. I too am like you...one house growing up - ONLY one house. I feel so lucky. So far the boys have already had four and they are only six and seven. That is frightening. But here we go again, another move, another house...but like you said - more memories. Thanks.
The pictures of Gabriella looking out the window are so precious. I lived in 3 homes growing up and still my fondest memories are the ones in the house we lived in till I was in 3rd grade. With pics like these, they'll be sure to spark some fond memories esp. people/sidewalk/bus watching.
I lived in 8 different houses, one hotel (for 6 months), and went to 7 different schools before I left for college. My dad being a medical military guy, we moved ALOT! I can relate to the girls, and say with some confidence that that the girls we be fine. Moving so much really made me depend on my family for support and helped me to be able to adapt to my new enviornment quickly. And I still remember our small appartment with cinderblock walls we lived in, while living in Korea when I was 3 years old. The girls will remember their childhood memories because you make them memorable- they will just be in a different location.
BTW, for some one who doesn't like to read very much, you sure do write like a master! I'm not kidding. You're very good at expressing yourself.
Did we have different childhoods? I don't remember Big Bird bikes in the backyard?? Nicole is right though...no matter where you guys live the girls will have great memories and they'll have you to help shape them! So have fun and make each house mean something!!
Bryn are you kidding? You don't remember our blue banana seat bikes with cookies monster streamers? Dad said he needed help putting the pool cover on and when we went out there our bikes were parked by the diving board. Don't you remember? You must remember the streamers at least! They were so cool!
OK in an effort to win the I moved the most contest...I haved lived in 24 homes. 12 before marriage and 12 after. Chase is living in his 9th home. I don't remember my homes too well pre kindergaten. But I do remember tid bits. Like my sand box full of ants in Georgia. Our sled hill in our back yard in Maryland. A really cool table my Mom made for us in another house. Easter egg hunts in the desert of Ft. Huachuca. They will remember pieces. It's no wonder I crave the idea of seyyleling down permanantly now!
I remember that great church pew in your home! I loved that! I remember getting together in a big group at you house with tons of kids just hanging out. There were so many of us we were all over the floor, couches and spilling into other rooms down stairs! It was a great gathering place!!!
Tell me if this the same for you but when I dream , I often dream of being in my childhood home. I'll be having a modern dream but it will be taking place in my Walton home! Funny huh!
You are a very good writer. Did you know that? I love reading your posts. You feel like you can feel, see, and understand what you understand. I feel like I am truly reading right into your life. I love it. I think your children some day will really remember their homes and place because you have documented them so well. You take pictures of them in their environment and you also write things like this post. You truly are one of the best mothers I have ever known. Thank you for continually inspiring me and uplifting me and helping me to be a better Mom too.
Post a Comment