
This morning as I watched Gabriella skip into my room dressed up, I had to smile. She carried a leotard in her hand and wanted so badly for Gwen to play dress up with her. I looked at the small leotard and thought about how I would attempt to get that onto a broken arm. There was no chance of that happening. I tried to tell Gabs that Gwen probably shouldn't be "dressing up" with a broken arm. Not to mention the fact that the broken arm was in a sling, and ace bandaged up. Sorta hard to be changing clothes.
Gabriella wasn't taking no for an answer. She led Gwen by the hand to their room to dig through the dress up box. She found her Halloween costume from last year and decided that it would be perfect because it just fit around her waist.
She proceeded to sit Gwen down and put shoes on her feet, necklaces around her neck, and hat after hat on her head. She lead her by hand around the house, window to window to look for Joe mowing the lawn outside. They played with their babies and in their kitchen. All morning long this went on. Gabriella was genuinely interested in taking care of Gwen. It was beautiful.
It reminded me of a picture my mom has of Bryn and I when we were younger. Bryn had a horrible eye infection when we were 2 or 3. She couldn't open her eyes for days. In the picture Bryn is sitting under a blanket, and around her is sitting every possible stuffed animal, teddy bear, baby doll , or barbie known to man. And in a house full of girls, you know that was tons. My mom said I would do that everyday, all day long. Bring her everything and sit next to her and talk to her and play with her and just care for her.
Now I know why my mom has that picture. Because as a mom, nothing warms your heart quite like seeing your daughter be motherly. I really cherish that picture my mom has. Now I have a few of my own to cherish as well.
***Update on Gwen***
She's proving what a tough little cookie she really is. She has been sleeping perfectly. Well, except for last night when we didn't give her any Tylenol in the middle of the night, she woke up pretty unhappy. We promise not to make that mistake again. Besides that, she is keeping her arm in the sling and ace bandage. Last night we left it off her for a bit to let her arm breathe and stretch. When we went to put it back on her she sat right down and said "tank you" as soon as we were done. I think she prefers to have it strapped in, because otherwise she forgets and goes to use it and it doesn't feel too good. She's such a sweetheart. With or without a broken arm, she's just too sweet. I think she's already forgiven me and I think she's going to be just fine.

14 comments:
What a great big sister Gwen has. Oh how sweet to have a sister. It kind of makes me sad that Ava is on her own with two rough and tumble boys, but then again I didn't have a sister either. I love the dress up games and that Gwen was such a willing participant.
I wish I'd had a sister... I love the photos. I used to dress my younger brother up in my dresses, because I wanted a sister so bad. He looked rather funny because his hair was always buzzed. I don't think he appreciated it much.
That was one of the sweetest posts. I love every single one of those pictures. Each of them is a treasure. (You get some of the best light in your house too.) I know this is silly, but I totally teared up even reading it. (Especially, because I had just read your post below about Gwen. I am SO sorry. That is the worst. I would have paniced. But, you are not a horrible mother in any way. But, I do agree it did sound like a crappy day even if we don't say that in our house either :)) What truly can be better than seeing your kids help and take care of each other. I hope that Gwen's arm does heal soon!
Mowing the lawn?! You are SO lucky to be in the midst of spring already! I can't wait to see you guys. And if you really want to make me happy, let your lawn grow so I can mow it. I love the smell of freshly cut grass. Count it as room and board... :)
What great pictures. I remember Katie dressing Emily and Emily dressing Megan. (Now Megan won't let anyone dress her... she is 'big'.) What fun to have sisters. I'm glad she is feeling better!!
What sweet pictures. Gabriella is certainly a great big sister and Gwen is so lucky to have her looking out for her happiness. I sure Gwen is healing like a champ. Give her hugs and kisses from all of us.
Ok you need to totally scan that picture and post it on you blog. I just love childhood photos! I need to see what little Jamie looked like as a youngster:)
It's good to hear Gwen is going to be ok.
Everything about that was beautiful. How beautiful your children are. How beautiful childhood is. How beautiful the pictures are. It was just perfect.
Sorry to barge into your blog like this, but I was interested in something you said in your comment on Julie Christensen's blog. You said you opted out of blogger lists and google searches. I would be VERY interested in knowing how you did that.
I do have to also say that you blog is delightful! Your girls are beautiful and I LOVE their names. My grandmother's name was Gwen and I would have used it if my brother didn't first!
Those are such sweet pictures of the girls. What a nice big sister Gabriella is. So sorry to read about little Gwen. Sounds like she is definitely on the mend. Cora caught me saying "crab" the other day too. I gotta watch that.
I love those cute little girl pictures. I am so glad you recorded on film and words how Gabriela is taking care of Gwen. I am she will get healed fast with such loving help. I am glad to hear she is bouncing back so quick. She is so small to remember to keep it in the sling and to not bump it. I'll keep her in my prayers!
ps of course she forgives you!
Gwen sounds like she's handling the broken arm well, what a sweetie. I love all the pink in the pictures - I love it when little girls play dress up!
They are so cute together! I can't wait until my boys start playing together. Probably not dress up though...more like catching frogs or something! I love reading your posts! I can picture everything perfectly! xoxo
Well hello! This is Griselda - an old friend of Joe's from back when we were freshmen at BYU. I found your blog from the McCurdy family link. Where are you guys and what is up with your family. Would love details! We are also in a link on the McCurdy site. You can also email us at theskeehans@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you guys. Also, I'm so sorry to hear about your little girl. Never fun to make an ER call.
Post a Comment