Crappy.
I made a plan to have a picnic with a few other moms after Gabriella's preschool. It was suppose to be nice, and we hadn't been to a park in, well, close to a year. So I packed lunch, threw a blanket in the car and set off to a great little park for little ones near by.
It really wasn't as warm as they said it would be. Figures. Not really surprised by that Washington forecast. But we stayed anyway and had a nice time chatting while the girls played. I took a survey of the park and stood near by while Gwen tested the waters on the stairs and slides. She went right to work climbing those stairs, and the slides were slow enough that she didn't shoot off the bottom onto the ground after her slides. So all was good.
The girls played and played. I heard talk of princesses and princes. Birds and sticks. There was something about needing to find flowers for a wedding. There was two hours of this. All the while my friends and I sat near by on a blanket enjoying the free babysitting the jungle gym was providing us with. Then, someone fell.
My Gwen. She fell flat on her back. From where? Oh, from clear up by the tallest slide where the opening was for those stupid fire poles that no kids small enough to play at that park could ever slide down. I didn't even see it happen. No one did. Just the sad little thump from a four foot fall rang in our ears. I ran and scooped her up. I was careful because she was laying so still. No blood, just a very sad little girl. It didn't take long to see that she was like a poor little bird with a broken wing.
We paged Joe and were off to meet him at the hospital in minutes. I had a feeling her arm was broken. She just left it limp at her side the entire time and sobbed when I picked her up from under her arms. It was the longest drive to the hospital. I remember Gabriella telling me that Daddy has bandaids and can make her arm feel all better. I was hoping so.
Joe met us in the parking lot and we went straight down to the ER. They took us right back and sent us over to Radiology. Joe did the parent in the X-ray room thing, I couldn't handle seeing her so sad. But after waiting outside the room and hearing her so sad, I think that was worse.
Yup, definitely a break. On her upper arm, just below the shoulder on her right arm. Not good. Thankfully, and I mean that considering the circumstances, but thankfully, it is a break that can heal itself without a cast. They put her in a little tiny bear sling, but that quickly looked like a purse slung across her shoulder. The thing was useless. They gave us some ace bandages to wrap it at night. After a dose of morphine we were able to go. Once she got a hit of that stuff she was flirting with the nurses she had just been crying at if they even looked at her. She was laughing at the crazy slurred words coming from her mouth. She was feeling pretty good.
Once we got home there was a lot more whimpering and "oow-wee's" when she was eating or trying to push up from the ground to stand up. She's pretty miserable. She's trying to sleep now, but I can't imagine it's going to be a pretty night for her. I hope I'll be able to help comfort her. They said the first several days will be rough, but in a week or so, she'll be feeling close to herself again. It just breaks my heart.
Joe kept telling me it's okay. That I can't be under my girls with my arms out ready to catch them every second. He said you just can't do that to kids. They need freedom to play. I know he's right. But man, do I feel like a pretty crappy mom.
Today was pretty crappy. Apparently I said it was crappy in the ER, because Gabriella reminded me, "We don't say crab mom. We don't say crab."
You're right Gabs, we don't say "crab." But today was still crappy.
3.06.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Poor baby! As soon as I saw your comment to me, I knew something must have happened to little Gwen. Poor sweet girl. It makes Isaac's goose egg look like nothing. (which it pretty much is in comparison) I hope she heals quickly! Give her hugs and kisses from all of us. Love you.
Hi Jamie...thanks so much for your nice comment on my blog and for introducing me to yours. I love it! I love how you write and your pictures are beautiful. I totally hear you on the whole mom thing. It's the best through the chaos, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'll have to check back here. Thanks again for saying hi...I love "meeting" people through blogs.
oh, and I LOVE the flashlight idea. We're totally doing that one.
Jamie I'm so sad for Gwen. I put Kate down for a nap right after you left and she woke up in such a better mood. I know if i ask if there is anything I can do you'll say no so Kate and i will have to think of something today.
No worries Jamie! You will be amazed at how quickly Gwen's arm heals. When Kenneth was only 7 months old, my 3 yr old Giovanna rolled him over on the floor as we were getting ready for church. In the ER we learned he had a spiral fracture above the elbow on his right arm. Within two weeks, it couldn't be seen on an x-ray! The worst part of the ordeal was when we were questioned - clearly for concerns of child abuse. It made me sick! Joe's right. You can't be beside your child EVERY second of the day. Accidents will happen and fortunately you were close enough to help her when she needed you.
I am so sorry!! Ugg, when mom told me I wanted to cry! I've been thinking about you guys all day and night. I'm sure you felt sick replaying it over in your head, but like everyone says, it's not something you could have prevented. She is such a cutie and will be back to her cute little self in no time! You're the best mom, they are both lucky to have you! Give her a hug from all of us!
Oh Jamie I am so sorry! I just took Abby and Isaac over to the playground for the first time in forever this week and I realized how Abby is at such a hard age. You just don't know if you should leave them alone or be right behind them the whole time! Luckily, Gwen's arm will heal, and she is healthy otherwise. You are the best mom! Don't ever question that. No matter what you do, accidents will always happen, it just shows you that you can handle just about anything. Here's to hoping she heals very, very quick. We will be praying for that!
Oh, I'm so sorry! I can't imagine how you must feel. I feel bad when Preston cries waiting for his bottle. I'm so not ready to handle boo-boos. Joes right though, we can't be there all the time; he sounds just like Drew. They always seem to be the level ones during an emergancy. Hope Gwen is feeling better, and even more so you:)
Oh no! My mom always used to say that one of the things she always prayed for was that none of her children would break a bone. Well with five boys and me, not one of us ever broke a bone until adulthood. I hate seeing my kids in pain.
I've thought of your little one since I read your post a day or so ago. I feel so bad for her (and you)! How is she holding up? Is she managing to keep the sling on? Is she acting more herself? Is Gabriela treating her as motherly as a big sister can? I hope you are all doing all right!
Jamie-
I'm so sorry about Gwen, accidents happen way too fast and there is nothing you could have done, bad things just happen sometimes - unfortunately. I am glad she will be alright, I am so sorry, there is nothing worse than seeing your kids in pain. I hope you are alright - usually it is harder on me than my kids - so take it easy on yourself! We love you guys, take care!
I'm a little behind, but I hope Gwen is feeling better now. Poor little thing! Brienna broke her arm when she was 4 and it was much more traumatic for me than for her.
Post a Comment