4.16.2008

Hypochondriac


When I was little, there were many a times I was sure I was dying from something. Sometimes I wasn't dying. I was just deformed. I hope I wasn't the only one. At some point, didn't you think you had some horrible rare disease that you were dying from?

I thought that I literally had a box in my throat that was filled with "voice". If I talked too much, I would run out of "voice". My box would be empty and I wouldn't be able to speak anymore-until the next morning of course when my voice box would fill up on more "voice" in the middle of the night while I slept. Unfortunately for my parents and siblings, this theory didn't keep me from talking constantly. Shocking that I never really ran out of voice!

And of course, don't all skinny girls think that their wrist and ankles protruding through their skin ridiculously far are deformed or extra bones that shouldn't be there at all? Just the other day Gwen was trying to push my ankle in with her pointer finger while saying "yucky." Okay, so maybe I am still self-conscious about my super skinny limbs.

But the worst of all was when I was little and saw myself swallow while looking in the bathroom mirror. I sat in the bathroom shocked. Wondering, why my throat made that weird up-down movement when I swallowed. I would put my hand over my throat and swallow again and feel my throat go in then out. It repulsed me. I was sure then and there that I was going to die from a deformed throat.

The other day when Gabriella came to me telling me there was something really wrong, I was quite worried. She looked serious and she had a concerned look on her face.

She said "Mommy I don't feel right. I think I need medicine."

I said, "Gabs what's the matter?"

Then she hiccuped and said, "My feelings hurt from hiccups."

She thought her hiccups were an illness. And that made her sad. It made me feel normal. At least I'm not the only one who got scared by perfectly normal things.

But today, I wasn't prepared for what unfolded. Ever since Gwen broke her arm, every minor scratch or scrap is a big deal needing bandages and first aid. What was once a bruise is now "broken." Well, today while Gwen was napping, we were outside. Gabriella bumped her head while playing...a very soft, barely any impact kind of bump. She told me that her head was broken and that she needed a bandage. She ran inside. I waited outside. Minutes later she came back all bandaged up.

Yes, that would be a 5T size sticker from some new pants. Apparently, that bandage made her feel all better.

So, if for any reason you don't see us or hear from us in awhile, it's probably because we're dying from hiccups, or we've broken our heads.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such cute pictures! I LOVE her band-aid! So, so cute. And Jaime, you need to sell your crafts. I would load up. Seriously! I would bet you made her cute little shirt. And I want your crayon roll-ups, and art smocks, and oh yeah, those leggings. I am actually going to take on that one. But seriously. I'd spend a fortune on jamieware!

Bryn said...

I remember thinking the little ball of flesh onthe bottom of my big toes was some deformation. You know what I am talking about, right? Cute Gabs!

Marie said...

Hey Jamie~
Its Marie from church. You have a blog how exciting!! Well hopefully we can catch up more then we do at church on here!! Love the blog!

Tasha said...

That is so cute and so funny. I love that the "bandage" was a 5T sticker. THat makes it all the better. And, hey, she was able to bandage her selfup all on her own. Now, that is a good little girl! :) Oh, I love the minds of these kids. Her new shirt is just darling by the way. You are amazing. I love those pictures too. One great thing about where you live . . .you get GREAT lightening. Seriously. I hope you don't have too many other big sicknesses or bruises this week. (I love reading your blog by the way. It just a favorite of mine :)!)

Stacey B. said...

Alli is obsessed with band aids. I made the mistake of buying Dora band aids and now any minor scratch (mostly invisible to the naked eye) is cause for a bandage. We've had to limit the use of them so I'm not forced to buy a new box every week. Cute shirt on Gabs, by the way! She is such a cute little model.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! Gabbs cracks me up. I love the things kids come up with. I’m afraid as a child I suffered for the opposite delusion — invincibility! I would play with snakes, jump off of hills on my bike and roller blades with the guys, come home all scraped up and tell my mom in the process “It’s all good, mom. I have everything under control.” I don’t think much has changed since then:)

And for the record, there is no need for you to worry about your figure…oh what I would give to get a little of your slenderness and height!:)

Shanen said...

You're crazy....you're all crazy. Good thing you are all so cute. Gabs looks adorable and her shirt is so cute. Did you buy a pattern for it?? I love it. Nice job

Becca said...

That is too funny... yes as a skinny girl I remember thinking I was deformed. I called my hips my handle bars!!!!

You girls crack me up!!!!

nicole said...

Such a cute post. I love that Gabriella chose a 5t sticker to make herself all better. That's priceless.

McCurdy Family said...

A future Dr. in the making? At least she tries to fix herself- my 6 year old boy just pokes and prods all sorts of scrapes and bug bites, refuses any type of anti-bacterial wash, hates band aids and thinks his one really big scar is super tough. I caught him rubbing dirt on his sister's scatched up knee the other day telling her the dirt would help soak up the blood!!

Jennifer said...

Honestly I don't know what I love more about reading your blog. All the cute ideas I get, the fun laughs from your clever journaling or the enjoyment from your awsome photos. I lvoe having such cool friends! Gabriella doesn't have my manipulating mind. If I had a broken head I would most certainly NEED ice cream!

tiny said...

Silly, silly girl! You just never know what they will think of next.