
There are moments when I think I've really got things together. Moments when I'm at the top of my game and nothing can stop me. Moments when I think I'm a pretty darn good mom.
Moments like when the girls and I return from running a list full of errands and I realize we made it the whole morning without any tears. And they didn't cry either. :) And there weren't any threats. And we actually had fun. Moments like the other day when I had a brilliant idea to put food coloring in Joe's shaving cream and let the girls paint themselves and the walls with it. Sometimes these moments come often, and sometimes it seems like it's been forever since we've had one of these moments.
Then there are times, when I wonder what I was even thinking. Or how something progressed to a certain level. I wonder how on Earth I let that happen.
Recently I've experienced both kinds of moments.
On Saturday Joe was busy with a commitment he had throughout the morning. I wanted to get out of the house for awhile, so I thought we would run to the dollar store. It's a place both the girls and I can enjoy and I don't feel guilty for spending a lot of money. Because it's impossible. I love the dollar store. I've found fun plates to match a dinner party we had, big chunky candlesticks and this time there were some really adorable knee highs, perfect for leg warmers. Anyway, it's easy because the girls actually get to walk around the store with me and I don't worry about them getting into anything that they shouldn't.
Well, Saturday I was feeling one of those pretty good moments. We were having fun and I told Gabs that she could pick a few things out. She decided on a Strawberry Shortcake figurine and a piggy bank. I thought both were good choices.
Pro's for the piggy bank-
1. She has a new friend that she takes everywhere.
2. She knows that she has to "earn" money to get money for her piggy bank.
3. The other day when I asked if she wanted a cookie, she said, "No, I want money." (That's a pro, because her diet could use a few less cookies)
4. She treats her piggy bank like a baby and even has Gwen saying, "Hi pig-ge" in the same sweet, soft voice she says, "Hi bebe" with.
5. She wants to be my little assistant and help with everything to earn money.
Con's for the piggy bank-
1. I am now PAYING my daughter for things she was already doing.
How did I let that happen? Why is it now that when I ask Gabs to put the kitchen towels away, I have to pay her money? Why can't the toys be picked up without her asking how much she gets? Why am I making up "chores" so she can get more money?
Here I thought I was being a pretty good mom. Now I'm paying for it. Literally.
P.S. Does anyone else see this rating thing? What is that?

11 comments:
The rating thing is new....People can RATE your post. I am trying to figure out how to shut it off. Anyhow...a thought about paying our kids for chores they were already doing....try setting a daily payment...if she helps with the required chores all day, THEN she gets paid but, not unless she helps with all that is asked of her. It seemed to work around here.
Thanks for the idea...luckily she's 3 and is happy to drop 5 pennies into her piggy bank. She's definitely not getting over paid, but I'd hate for her to think the only way she'll help is for money. Not my idea of a healthy habit.
I went through the same thing with my girls. What we decided on was they got an allowance on Saturday. 50 cents for every year. To get their allowance they had chores to do all week. Little things, but nonetheless, chores. Every Saturday after our family chores they get paid. During the week I pay them when I need extra help. Like collecting ALL the laundry and bringing it to the laundry room. Or folding all the towels, cleaning the basement, etc. Or if I bribe them to look at the camera! They know they have to do extra to earn money on a monday!
And yeah, what's up with that rating thing?! How lame! But I give you a 5-star anyway...!
I've noticed the rating thing on some peoples blogs. It's not on mine. Thank goodness, what if someone gave me a 1! It must be in your setting under comments. That's my guess!
Dax loves his piggy bank, except he has no concept of money or how you get it or how it's spent. Whenever I see spare change lying around we put it in his piggy bank. Maybe Gabriella could be rewarded for going above and beyond and doing something that isn't asked of her or isn't expected of her, and then you can reward her? What a cutie! Sorry you got yourself all mixed up with this good, i'm on top of the world, motherly thing. Let me know if you ever figure it out!
that is too funny!!! The novolty will wear off and then magically come back months from now!!My girls love money!!! Piggy banks used to sleep in bed with Cricket! I love it!
What's the rating thing I've never had an encounter with it? I'm not sure if I want people rating me:( If i wanted to be railed on I'd try out for American Idol:)
Anyway, Gabbs is a doll... and a very smart little girl. Good luck with that one:)
That is so funny. Especially, because I have been wanting to get a piggy bank for Tanner. Now, you have me thinking. But, people are giving good ideas. Maybe I will just thinking on it for a few days. I love that is what she picked out though! I love $1 stores too. YOu never know what you will find.
Kids LOVE money- but watch out- the coin phase doesn't last long. We made the mistake of giving Andrew $3.00 for his first lost tooth plus a candy. Now seven tooth fairy visits later his treasure box is overflowing- I actually borrowed money from him the other day! We're not sure what he's saving for but he's great about paying tithing and saving his money (obviously more like his father than like me!) And he only gets money for special chores- not his everyday ones.
If you figure out the money thing let me know. We've tried an assortment of ways to help kids earn money. I think it's so important for them to have enough money that they can manage it themselves and make their own decisions on what to spend it on. BUT I don't want them to feel like they have to get paid for things they do as they make up part of our family. It looks like wise Julie has some good ideas.
I didn't see the rating thing.
Post a Comment