6.14.2008

Anderson Island





We've lived here for 3 years now. We've been on many ferries and been to many islands in the area. Yet, we've never been to the island that we can see on our drive to church and we've never been on the ferry we pass several times a week.
Until, today.

We never quite knew what was on Anderson Island. We knew it wasn't much. A general store. Trails. A restaurant. Some lakes. Lots of vacation homes. Nothing too exciting. Lately I've been pushing that we take a trip over ourselves to see what it was all about. Today was about our last weekend day before Joe's schedule gets ugly, so today we saw for ourselves.

We packed a lunch and packed up a bag of swimsuits and towels. We caught the afternoon ferry. Clouds were still threatening rain, but we had high hopes that they would burn off like they had the last several days.

I had done a little research before we left, so after we got off the ferry we headed to a Marine Park with a trail leading to a Bay. The trail was such fun. Hiking with a three year old is hilarious. Gabs was so funny the whole time talking about "we can't go under it, we can't go over it, I guess we got to go through it." She said she was hoping that there wouldn't be any monsters on the "height" (aka hike). She lead us the entire way and kept up a good pace. There was a neat little part in the trail where cut tree stumps lined the path for the girls to walk across. They looked like lily pads. Except they were in a forest and on dirt. There must have been twenty-five of them in a row. It was the girls favorite part.

By the time we made it out to the Bay, the sun was peeking through and we could see that our day was going to be just what we had hoped. We combed the shore all alone for awhile and found that it was speckled with sand dollars. We had a handful in a hurry and couldn't carry all that we saw. I've been so sad that I had yet to be at a beach at low tide to find my own sand dollars, so this felt like the jackpot.

We decided that we should jump back in the car and head over to the lakes that we had heard about. We couldn't believe what we saw when we got there. The lake was deserted. And it was gorgeous! There were two little sand areas side by side. One side had a huge platform with a big slide going into the water. And the other side had a little platform dock with a bity slide. Perfect for our girls. The water was crystal blue. And I was envious of the million dollar looking homes I could see across the water.

Both of the girls went straight for the water. No hesitation. Even when they touched the frigid temperatures, they didn't care. It was so much fun watching them slide again and again. We felt like millionaires. Like we owned the lake and the beautiful homes sitting along the water. We were all alone in our own little world and it felt pretty good being millionaires.

We could have stayed for hours longer, but the girls were literally shaking. Gwen could barely stand anymore her legs were so wobbly. They both cried when we wrapped them up and put them in the car. We promised we would go back.

Joe and I couldn't believe how wonderful this place was. We can not wait to go back. We came right home and got on the Internet and discovered that you don't even have to be a millionaire to own those homes we saw. We thought about how nice it would be to have a home in such a quiet, secluded place. Maybe one day. But for now, we'll just hop on our nearest ferry every now and again and go feel like millionaires for the day. It really was that much fun!

12 comments:

Shanen said...

Jamie that is the best place. How could people not know about it?? What a fun day to have together as a family. The girls looks like they are just having a blast.
Love you.

Tasha said...

I love it! What a fabulous day as a family. It looks like you all had a good time. I love how much you get out and explore the area you live in.

Anonymous said...

That is a dream vacation. Perfect heaven in my eyes! We look for those kinds of vacations. The ones a little off the beaten path. The unglamorous, but so fun! Our favorite vacation to date was in amish country at a little motor inn. We had THE best vacation because it was laid back and all about family. We swam, and swam, and swam. At nights we played games and snuggled in bed watching movies. The kids ask almost every day when we are going back to pennsylvania. Not Puerto Rico. Or somewhere else cool that they have been. But Pennsylvania.

Wish we could join you at your new stomping grounds!

PS... going to Target tomorrow. Thanks!!

Jennifer said...

Love it Jamie. One of the best things about blogs is that i get great travel plans from all of my friends. I will have to get all the details from you becuase we have got to go too!

Lisa said...

You are the best at finding fun places. We went over there one cold day in February and walked along the beach but didn't find anything that exciting. (Except I love a fun ferry ride.) I guess it pays to do your research!

April said...

Do you think you were all alone because no one else dares to go in that water without a wetsuit? :) It does look fun, though my daughter is a bit of a water wimp. I keep telling Tyler we should head over there for a hike or something. We still haven't done the ferry thing and we have been here 3 years! Glad you had a good time. The weather was great Sat. Today, not so sure it's a pool day:)

Bryn said...

That water looks so refreshing! I love that the girls ran right to it without any fear. What a GREAT place to visit. Seriously, when am I coming again??

Fisher Family said...

What a cool place...was that water freezing? I'll have to get directions to that little oasis.

nicole said...

What a fun place to find! The girls look like they are having so much fun. How lucky they are to have you search out the fun things in your area. Love you.

Millers! said...

I love all the pictures you take of your girls... you are so talented... I am at church, but I think we must just miss eachother since we are on opposites sides of the church building all three hours.. I'll make it a point to come up and say HI to you... see you Sunday!

Shanen said...

Jamie I just "tagged" you. See my blog. Sorry

Anonymous said...

looks like fun. i cna't believe the girls didn't mind te cold water. it looks nice, but i'm sure it was chilly. again your pictjures are beautiful:)