6.16.2008

Our New Puppy



We bought a dog. Two actually. One for Gabs, one for Gwen. That's a big deal for someone like me who's not a dog lover. (Read this post if you want details)

Before we even left on our trip to Alaska, I knew we would be coming home with dogs. After seeing the girls overwhelming joy (aka couldn't give a flying hoot) about the Hula dolls we brought back from Hawaii, I knew we had better step up the souvenir giving. Those searched-all-over-Honolulu-looking-for-the-perfect-Hula-dolls are now piled somewhere in the closet under all the other, neglected, unloved stuffed animals.

So it was out with the Eskimo doll, in with the Alaskan Husky. We made the right decision. At least for Gabs. Gwen's dog, on the other hand, might as well be in the closest with all the other shunned stuffed animals. We're okay with that though. One for two is way better than totally striking out like we did in Hawaii.

Gabriella loves her dog. If you ask what her dog's name is, she answers "puppy". That's the creative name she came up with for her dog. She corrects me everytime I refer to her puppy as a "him." She reminds me, "Puppy's a girl mommy." Oh, yeah. How could I forget with all the pink ribbons you've been tying around her neck for leashes. And the pink purse you insist on carrying her everywhere in. I should remember by now, that puppy is a girl! She also makes it very clear that Gwen's puppy is a boy. When Joe asked her why Gwen's was a boy she answered, "Because Daddy. Some puppies have to be boys." Oh yeah, what were we thinking?

This little puppy has been her constant companion. She doesn't go to bed without it tucked under her arm right by her face, and she doesn't leave bed in the morning without digging under all her covers for her. Everytime we leave the house she asks if puppy can come along. I usually let puppy come in the car, but I'm not a big fan of letting one thing come everywhere with us. So she keeps it in the car until we get back in and she kisses it's nose and tells her she missed her. It never fails that before she gets in the bath she asks if puppy can come. I tell her that her dog can't get wet and she always tells me that her dog knows how to "shakey, shake" after getting wet. Still, the dog doesn't get a bath with her....but I applaud her persistence.

She plays with her puppy more than Gwen. I guess puppy doesn't take her things and run away, or cut in line to go down the slide, or pull her hair when she's upset. I suppose that makes sense that puppy is a better playmate.

I think it's sweet to see her love this little puppy so much. That is, except for last night. As we were sitting down at the table to eat dinner, we called for Gabriella to come. It took a minute, then we heard things banging into the wall. We watched as Gabs came down the hallway carrying her baby dolls high chair. We continued to watch as she carefully set the highchair down in between her chair and where Gwen sits. She ran to get puppy and proceeded to put him, I mean her, in the highchair!

I had to draw the line there! Puppy? Eating dinner with us? At the diner table? In a highchair? Come on! But I couldn't. I couldn't draw the line. It was just so adorable. Joe and I just shook our heads and smiled. Puppy enjoyed a delicious rib dinner with us and Gabriella couldn't have been happier. But tonight...tonight I am definitely drawing the line. No puppy at the table tonight.

She really cares for and loves this little puppy to pieces. So much so, that Joe tried to argue that we needed a real puppy because Gabriella loves her stuffed one so much ... and we all know who has the final say in the home ... the wife does! And it's still a no go! Our current puppy is perfectly acceptable. Plus, I'm warming up to the little thing. I think I might even love her a little bit too.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kate is all about cats. I lovethat she feed it from the table. Tell her that doggies get sick if they eat people food. Maybe she can teach it tricks. Like if she sirs quietly and stays in place during dinner time gabriella can give ger a puppy treat. Way to hold the line on the no real dogs...I just got back from chasing mine all over the neighborhood. Summertime means lots of doors being opened and closed and one very sneaky dog sneaking out a lot! Whew...long post...

Sarah said...

If you ever need some moral support in the 'no dogs as pets' idea, give me a call. No way Jose. Maybe, just maybe when the kids are big enough to take care of it--but still pretty much no. It just isn't my thing. I'm all about stuffed animals as substitutes. Perfect.

Becca said...

I love it when a kid gets so attached to a special toy or friend like that! we have a dog that looks almost identical to that that Blue carried in the crook of her arm for months!!! I'd rather clean up after that dog then the other kind!!!

Bryn said...

Imagine how much more adorable those pictures would be if "my puppy" really was a puppy!! I support you in holding your ground with a no dog rule. I have a no live animal policy. Austin is trying to talk me into a gold fish and I have no desire to be a pet owner. How'd it go at dinner last night?

nicole said...

A little heads up about the doll would have been nice. We brought one home to Dylan and she handed it back to me and said "no thanks." Great. Those pictures were perfect though. It's great that Gabs loves her puppy. I'm with you about the no dogs policy...even though we have one. Once Michael is gone, there will be no more puppies in our house.

Anonymous said...

This kind of dog is much more gentle on your yard and home than the other kind. Just remind Joe who will be picking up the dog doo every saturday morning and you should have your way!