




Each night for at least the last two weeks Gabriella has been asking if the next day was the sale. We would try explaining to her again that the sale was not for many, many, many more days. Time frames are hard for 3 year olds to understand. And she wanted the sale to come SO bad. What sale you might be wondering. Oh, that would be the city wide garage sale our neighborhood has twice a year.
Let me back up a bit.
Just after Joe's parents left a few weeks ago we were in a store and Gabs fell in love with a doctor kit she saw. She wanted it so badly. Not only for the medical instruments, but also for the big carrying box it all came in. She thought would be perfect for her new puppy.
Of course, like all little children, I say "No" to something each and every time we go into a store. This time was no different. Plus, she had just been spoiled by her grandma and grandpa. We were in no need for more new things. But, not thinking too clearly I mentioned it. I mentioned the garage sale. And she did not let me forget.
I told her that if she wanted to sell some of the things she doesn't play with at home, she could earn the money for the doctor kit. She was fine with that. I took inventory real quick in my mind and knew right away that there would be no way she would have anything to sell to justify us sitting outside in our garage for hours so she could earn money. We only have three years worth of toys built up around here and I purge the toy box so regularly, that nothing would be going. I'm still too attached. I can't possibly be at a stage in my life where I am garage selling toys already can I?
No. No toys would be going.
So we decided that cookies could be her business for earning money. She couldn't wait. Everyday she's been asking if tomorrow was the sale.
This morning, Gwen and I were already awake, I heard Gabs in her room. Usually she just comes right out when she wakes up, so I walk into her room to see what was going on. As I pushed the door open, I could hear chanting. She's laying on her bed, with her feet up in the air and her fists pumping the air saying, "Sale day. Sale day. Sale day." It was like Christmas morning for her.
We hurried and ate breakfast, got dressed (she picked out her most "princessesy" dress to wear) and she made a sign. Cookies .25 cents.
She was adorable with those cookies. She sold those things like it was nobodies business. In fact, we sold all 6 dozen cookies in an hour. One time Gabs got distracted with the things at the garage sell and Gwen sat down and started yelling to all the people walking past, "Buy cookie. Buy cookie." Not as a question, but more of a demand! It was irresistible. The people obliged and bought cookies from her.
I'm sure we could have sat out there all day and sold cookies for .50 cents or a dollar. But that wasn't my goal. I didn't care about a profit. I really just wanted her to feel like she was earning the money herself. I wanted her to feel proud of herself. I wanted her to be polite when costumers came. I wanted her to learn responsibility. I wanted her to feel the satisfaction of working for something.
I don't know if she did learn any of that, but she sure was proud when she walked up to the counter at the store and handed the clerk her wad of 1's and a handful of quarters. I was pretty proud too. My little girl is growing up.
And she loves her new doctor kit. Look at these good sports amusing her while she takes their temperature and checks their ears. Seriously, priceless. 










8 comments:
I knew it, I knew it, I just had to get on and see if you had posted this yet. The pictures are adorable and she looks so happy. I don't think any of her patients are complaining. In fact, the birthday boy looks as pleased as can be. What a fun day. Love you
I love that!!!! I could have not passed up a cookie sale from a cutie like her... no wonder she sold out!
I love the pictures of her doctoring Gwen. Gwen almost looks like a doll. Well she is a doll, but you know what I mean. You will think I am a toatl copy cat when I get home from vacation and post pictures of our lemonaid sell. The kids came rushing in when a police officer stopped and gave them five dollars for a drink to keep instead of the quarter. The bestthing is that they were outside all morning giving me time to pack for our trip in peace. I think I will have to drive by next time and get a cookie from your cutest ever girls
This post makes me smile.
Little Gabs...I wish we would have come by to buy a cookie before they sold out w/in the 1st hour. Those things sold like hotcakes! I guess it only made them sell faster when Gwen got in on the advertising. So sweet!
Of course she wants to be a doctor just like her daddy! I LOVE that she sold cookies to get her new toys. You really are the best mom. I love the pictures--they are adorable.
how cute is that... you do have sweet girls.. I just heard Gabriella tell a little girl at church today that she had very pretty hair... hey didnt you hear me.. I said you had really pretty hair.. I got a good laugh at that.
That is too cute for words! What a wonderful experience you just gave her. I too think learning to sale and earn and work with customers is one of the best things we can teach our children. I love that she had to work for that doctor's kit and loved seeing just how she did it. She looks like one good doctor too!
Post a Comment