
Joe got called into work about 15 minutes before we were suppose to be out the door to church on Sunday. I teased him that he seemed a little to eager to leave for the hospital instead of church. It's not true of course. But the thought of sitting in my meetings alone hung over my head, especially at 1:00 during nap time. So I teased Joe instead.
We were able to make it to church early enough to sit along an aisle. That's usually my motivation to get to church early... an aisle seat. That's key with two toddlers. Surprisingly, the girls were great. In fact, I heard more in that Sacrament meeting than I usually absorb when Joe is there. I teased him about that too.
We got home and had a nice Sunday dinner, just the girls and I. Then, because it was so gorgeous, we went outside with some chalk. I made a hopscotch for the girls, then Gabriella wanted one for herself. I drew the squares and she filled in the numbers. I showed her how to toss the bean bags and skip over that square. Even cute little couples walking along the sidewalk would stop and jump through our hopscotch. That just thrilled her. I think she really did think they were coming down the street just to play. It was cute to watch. She was having a great time.
Gwen on the other hand...

not so much. She hadn't had a nap, was too tired to eat, and I was torturing her by keeping her outside, instead of inside where her bed was. But I know better than to put her to bed at 6:30 on Sundays. Monday's always come earlier than I'd like. So, I was forcing her to be outside, which she was none to pleased about.
Tonight as I sat down and looked at these pictures, it was interesting to see the contrast between Gabriella's hopscotch experience, and Gwen's. Lately, my life has felt a little like hopscotch. Typically, I skip through life, excited and happy. Smiling and enjoying every step of the way.
Today, though, I can relate to Gwen. I feel those exact emotions and expressed them a time or two. Funny thing though, my girls were wonderful today. They were nice to one another, and played with one another. They were polite and spoke kindly. We went to a free movie, had a little lunch, went swimming at the pool. But the whole day I just wanted to stop right there in the middle and cry.
Tonight, the girls took Joe outside to show him their hopscotches. Gwen was so excited to get outside. She ran right through the squares and was very pleased with herself. Then, she tried jumping and fell and scrapped her knee. She cried for a band aid and was back out the door again as soon as it was kissed.
That made me think about my day. It was a tough day for some reason. But tomorrow doesn't have to be. I might fall a time or two, but it's all in my attitude. I can either stop and cry, or I can get loves from my family and get right back to work being the best mom and wife I know how.
Tomorrow I choose to skip along again. Tomorrow I choose hugs and kisses. Tomorrow I choose to be happy.
Because today was no fun!

5 comments:
I don't know how I seem to get on here first lately.But Yea for me. And I am sorry you had a sad day today....BUT YEA FOR TOMORROW!!! You better be happy. You have much to look forward to. The girls look adorable.
I can never picture the girls not playing nicely or speaking kind to eachother, but I'm so glad you thought they were especially nice yesterday with all that was going on. You definetly have the right attitude. You're in charge of your own happiness, so I am so glad you decided that today was going to be a better day. I wish I could give you hugs from way out here. I miss you! I think Dax would love hopscoth!! What a great idea!
I really hate trying to keep a tired little one up for the sake of bed time- it just kills me. But in the end everyone's better off. You have such a good attitude too. I love your hopscotch analogy:)
You are wonderful. You expressed all that so beautifully. I seem to have both those kind of days too. Thanks for the upliftment and strength to have a better day too. yesterday was a bad one and today I chose for it to be better. I sure do like good days better than bad ones. :)
Those pictures are so darling. Your girls dresses are fabulous. Do you have late church? I love that Gabs knows how to play hopscotch. How cute is that? Girls are too much fun :)
Sorry to hear you had a bad day--a nice trip to the gym usually helps me (and probably explains why I'm there so much . . . ). Hope all is well and you are smiling and hopping along again soon.
Post a Comment