6.02.2008

Night Time Ritual




Gabriella 3 1/2
Gwen 20 months

First, the girls get into their jammies. Gabriella's has to be in a "jammie dress".

Then, I ask Gabs how old she is. She says 3.

Then I tell her to pick up 3 pink toys.

Then 3 toys shaped like a circle.

Then 3 toys that go in her room.

Then 3 toys that go in the basket.

Then 3 Little People.

Then 3 Polly Pocket dresses.

Then 3 books.

Then 3 toys that have orange in them.

Then 3 of everything, until it is all picked up. All of it except the girls clothes.

Then I ask Gwen how old she is. Gabriella answers 1.

Then I tell Gwen her 1 job. To take the clothes to the laundry room. Everynight, that's her job.

Then we try and have Gabs randomly pick a picture from the Gospel Art Kit and talk about it. We're not perfect, but we do try.

Then we give the girls milk.

Then Gabriella uses the restroom.

Then they brush their teeth. Gabriella sings the itsy bitsy spider song 3 times while brushing
Then she knows she's done.

Then we race. Gabriella runs into her room and brings out the elephant. And puts it in the exact same spot in the hallway every night.
Then Joe and the girls line up at the fireplace and Gabriella designates me as "the caller."
Then I say, "Ready. Set. Grape Juice." And the girls laugh.

Then I say, "Ready. Set. Goldilocks." And they laugh some more.

Then I say, "Ready. Set. Go."
Then everyone races past me into their room.

Then they come running out and give the caller high-fives. That's Gwen's favorite part.

Then Gabriella takes a turn being the caller.

Then we do it again.

Then we do it again.

Then we do it again.

Then we do it again.

Then, after 5 times, the girls have to stay in their room.

Then we kneel around Gabriella's bed and say a prayer.

Then Joe sings his "goodnight sweetheart song" to the girls.

Then I rock each of the girls before I lay them in bed and whisper, "It's pajama time, hush hush. It's pajama time hush hush. It's pajama time. Shh. Goodnight. Sleeptight." It's from one of their favorite books.

Then I kiss them on the forehead.

Then Gabriella sits up in bed and gives me a big bear hug. Then she holds my cheeks and kisses my lips.

Then I lay Gabriella's special blanket perfectly over her so there are no wrinkles in it and she has her favorite corner right by her face.
Then Gwen stands up in her crib and reaches out her arms and open and closes her fists and says, "Hug. Hugs. Hugs."

Then I give her hugs.

Then they ask for more milk. We say "Tomorrow."

Then Joe lays down on Gabriella's bed.

Then I stand at their door and sing a song I made up that is mostly full of "I Love You's" And we do a little twisting dance...kinda like chubby checker.

Then I blow kisses.

Then they try and ask for milk again.
Then Joe asks the girls what song they want to hear.

Then the girls say "John B."

Then Joe sings the song he's been singing every night since Gabriella was a little girl. The Beach Boys, Sloop John B.

Then the girls sing along.

Then he kisses them goodnight.

Then he closes their door.

Then we get frozen cookie dough from the freezer.

Then we sit together in our favorite spot on the couch.

Then we turn on The Office or some other show we missed.

Then we relax.

Then we smile.

Because tomorrow, we get to do the exact same thing all over again.
And just so you don't think we're cruel parents, it really is that light out at 7:00p.m. in June in the Pacific Northwest when the girls are getting ready for bed. Love the long summer days!

12 comments:

Bryn said...

I am smiling from ear to ear right now! I love that night time ritual!! How cute are you guys? Funny thing is I have been to your house a few nights of my own and I had no idea all that was going on in those cute girls room! I LOVE it!

Tasha said...

THAT IS SOOOO CUTE!!! I too am smiling from ear to ear reading it. You are such good parents. What amazing memories your girls are going to have of you both. Really, I love that is your ritual and I love that your girls have something that wonderful to look forward to each night. You are inspiring me!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was just thinking back to those days. We had fun putting our kids to bed. We had a similar routine. The singing. The cleaning. All those kisses! And it was fun!

Now, it's more business. Brushing four sets of teeth. Getting four sips of water. Tucking in four "not-tired" children. Shushing four chattering mouths. Shushing four chattering mouths, again. And again. And again. Until we give the look.

There are still kisses. And hugs. And even back rubs. I still lay down next to Olivia while she dozes off. But bedtime is not as fun as it used to be.

I want them to go to sleep. And they just want to party. And that's where we disagree. So, I will try and be better. Not sure how to make it faster and more fun. But, I will try!

Becca said...

What a great routine...how long does that all take from start to finish!!!? Those are such great memeories for your girls!!! I wouldn't doubt that they will do teh same thing with their kids!!! I lov eit!

April said...

Darling way to capture a routine and a memory. Your girls will love to go back and read this blog someday. You are great at journaling every day moments.

Jamie C. said...

Becca, we are SO not the kind of parents that take an hour getting the kids to bed. This is a fun thing we do, but it is business at the same time. We probably spend 15-20 minutes from beginning to end. And we threatened Gabriella with her coveted blanket that if she gets out of bed, the blanket goes in the closet. It only took her one time to realize we were serious and she has never done it again. It's a lovely time of day when the kids are tucked quietly away in bed.

Millers! said...

How cute is that.. you take amazing pictures of your kids! it probably helps that they are beautiful girls! I found your blog on Marie's blog.. hope you dont mind.. your Cruise sounds amazing, I cant wait to do a cruise one day... ONE DAY!

Jennifer said...

We definitely need a better bedtime tradition. Ours is more like it's 8:00 you have five minutes to get in bed or else! You made me jealous!

Fisher Family said...

Great bedtime ritual! Love the high 5's and the singing. Pajama Time is one of the girls favorite books here too. I think we need to have a little more fun before bed too.

nicole said...

What a great bedtime ritual! The girls are going to have such great memories captured here on your blog. So lucky. Love you

Shannon Crandall said...

All I have to say is that you are amazing! I wish I could be just like you in every way!!! We are packing to move to Pensacola for Mike's flight surgery school and I hate it. I am also prego and sick so that makes everything worse! Anyway I admire you and your sweet girls and you ability to get things done you amaze me.

Lisa said...

What a great way to capture such an everyday memory. Our bedtime rituals have changed lots over the years. I used to ask the girls five questions or tell them a story from when I was a kid... I'm afraid it is not near as fun these days... but I will try to be better. Little Megan needs a better routine! Thanks for being so fabulous.