8.27.2008

When Life Gives You Tomatoes...

I remember having a garden my whole life. It was a huge, raised garden in our backyard. Beans, corn, radishes, zucchini, squash, carrots, cherry tomatoes, tangelos, raspberries...everything. I love, love, love vegetables, and I attribute it to having fresh vegetables right in my own backyard.

Sometimes, I hated that garden. Like when I would get in trouble, instead of being grounded, I was punished by having to weed the garden. Again, that garden was huge! Not fun!

Although, I loved having a garden growing up, I never really had much motivation to plant my own garden. I don't know why...I guess it seemed like too much work.

Well, in May, we went to the Farmers Market and bought 3 tomato plants and three strawberry plants. Joe planted them and we immediately thought the tomato plants had drowned. It rained so much after they were planted, we thought they were dead for sure. But after a few weeks, it was evident that they had held on. Then a few weeks later, they had grown so tall, that we built a support structure for them. Now, still, they are laying horizontal on the ground, they're so tall and heavy.

The girls have loved going out with their daddy and checking the status of the tomatoes (Our strawberries are failing miserably). Sometimes they stay out there so long, I think they're watching them grow. They water them with their own little buckets and take such good care of the plants. joe treats these plants like a child. As soon as he walks in the door and the girls jump on him, he goes outside and investigates the days growth. He counts the tomatoes and hand waters them. It's sweet. And the girls stay right along side of him the whole time.

The other morning the slider was open and I could hear Gwen outside playing. When I went to check on her, she was over by the "pamatoes" talking to them. She would reach out her little hand and pet the ones she could touch and would speak words of love to each green tomato. It was priceless. "Daddy's pamatoes. Daddy's pamatoes so pretty." (Note the pajamas)
We've started to pick our first red ones, but in about a week we'll have at least a hundred tomatoes fresh off the vine. I feel like I should load them up in a wagon and deliver them anonymously to neighbors and friends. The girls would think that was so fun to leave baskets of tomatoes on doorsteps, ring the doorbell and run away.

Because really, what am I going to do with all these tomatoes? Homemade salsa is about the only thing that sounds appealing at the moment. Anyone want to place an order? Free of charge. They are literally grown with lots of love. Anyone, anyone?

17 comments:

Becca said...

we are about to get our own surpluss of tomatoes and I'm in the same boat!What on earth am i going to do with all of them!Ours are taking their time turning green!A little late this season I've heard!

Dara said...

First of all congrats on your new addition of baby #3! I hope you feel better soon!
I have some great salsa recipes (regular, corn etc) I would be happy to send along! And if I lived closer I would gladly take some off your hands because I have a craving for corn salsa like there is no tomorrow!
Anyway, congrats on the baby and the tomatoes...I can't grow anything!

Sarah said...

I love fresh tomatoes, and my house is pretty darn close to yours. Ding dong ditch me all you want, then email me your friend's corn salsa recipe. =) As for strawberries, ours went well this year, but I hear it takes a year or so for them to bear fruit. So hang on, don't touch them, and probably your harvest will be plenty next summer.

Shanen said...

Yum, yum, yum. Yes, lots of salsa, and don't you remember just slicing them and putting salt on them and eating them plain. Oh my girls would be so thrilled. Tomatoes do no last long in our house at all. Good for you to make a garden.

Anonymous said...

gwen is so cute. i'm a believer that verbal affirmation helps plants grow too;)

Honeycombs said...

Well I don't think it would be safe for you and your girls to load the wagon and walk to my house. I hear that I-5 makes for an interesting walk, but I would love to take some tomatoes off your hands.

Heather said...

Heck yeah! Matt's favorite thing is a BLT with home grown tomatoes only our meek little tomato plants didn't do so well this year. We are going to be eating a few fried green tomatoes I think. Maybe I should have been out there talking with them. Joe knew the secret.

Bryn said...

Look how great those tomatoes look!! You should try canning them. You must know someone with a canner or something. Tell them you'll supply the tomatoes if they supply the machines, then you all can enjoy them! Canned tomatoes would go great in our Taco Soup recipe!

April said...

You should have handed some out last night. I would LOVE some. I eat fresh tomatoes like apples. YUM YUM

Jennifer said...

We are up for some Chiara home grown tomatoes! I love little Gwen and her sweet little voice saying the cutest little things.

Lisa said...

I am making fresh salsa a couple times a week these days. Love it. But fresh tomatoes are best for sandwiches! Yum. I wish I had some tomato plants!

mom said...

Todd would love some tomatoes! Homegrown are the best. I canned them once, but it was not worth the work and stinky house. I also canned spaghetti sauce. If I can find the recipe I'll e-mail it to you.

Tasha said...

We planted tomatoes back in May too (I had high hopes to plant other things, but it just never happened.) I was excited for the possibilities and then sadly the only thing that I have ever felt like eatting off our TONS of tomatos has been fresh salsa as well (and even then they haven't always been appealing.) I just had to smile when you made that comment. But, I love your idea of ding dong ditching them on door steps. I have had fun giving them away to people I knew would love fresh grown tomatos. And hopefully next year I will be more up to actually doing something with the veggies I grow!

Anonymous said...

I'll take some!

Everything tastes better when it's homegrown. And kids will eat foods they've never tried when they get to pick it.

Love Gwens pajamas. And when do we get a belly shot of you!?

Shannon Crandall said...

I want some of your tomatoes can you get them to Florida?

Shawni said...

Your pictures are amazing. Love the girl's dresses in that next post. LOVE fresh tomatoes...I'm jealous..they don't grow well here. I love that you get to have another baby. I'm sorry you have to be so darn sick! It'll all be worth it in the end, right?? Congrats!!

Unknown said...

Can,can, can! Yum! They look so good! Good for you guys! Any way you can get some to AZ??!