9.03.2008

Lucky 13




Week 13 has proven to be lucky for me...knock on wood.

I am feeling significantly better. Still tired as a dog, but that I can work through. It was impossible to work through the nausea.

But I'm feeling so much better in fact, the girls and I set out to pick blueberries last Friday. A quiet afternoon, just the three of us. I was remembering last year when we went as part of a group. Gwen was in the Bjorn and Gabriella seemed so little. Just interested in the "hunt".

This time, we made an afternoon of it...I have many hours of quality mothering to make up for. The last few weeks have been slow paced and I'm sure on the boring side for the girls.

Blueberries were a sure fire way to get me back in good standing with the two little blondies. Gabs grabbed her biggest Easter basket and was ready to find some serious blueberries. When we got there, I told her to look for the "blue" berries, even the purple or black ones. She went right to work pulling and searching for the perfect blueberries. A few cranberry colored blueberries made it into the bucket, but that's okay. Gwen was busy playing Charlie Brown's christmas. She was only interested in the poor green berries that had fallen on the ground. She was focused on gathering as many of those as she could. And trying to shove them in her mouth before I noticed and would sweep them out.

After awhile, I could hear Gwen ask Gabriella the same question Gabs kept asking me, "This one okay?" And Gabs would look at it and reply with the same inflection as I had, "Mmmm, it's a little red." Gwen would find another one, off the ground I'm sure, and ask again. Gabs mostly answered that they were too red, but once in a awhile she would say, "YES! Gwen! That one's perfect." It made me smile.

We picked and picked blueberries. Time passed and I was getting hungry, no real surprise there though. So I told the girls that we needed to get ready to go. Gabriella insisted that we needed to fill the gigantic bucket to the top line. "That will take too, too long" I told her. To which she replied, "We need to try mom. Try, try, try." Does that sound like a three year old taking motherly advice and turning it back around on her very own mom or what? But I told her I was hungry and we needed to head home. She said she wished we had a picnic. I agreed that would have been a great plan. Then she squealed in my most favorite voice of hers. The voice when she just realized something, or is really excited about something. She said high-pitched and obviously pleased with her epiphany, "I know! You can eat blueberries." What a brilliant idea Gabs!

We did head home though and prepped our blueberries for muffins the next morning. Unfortunately, we ended up with the biscuit type muffins instead of the cake like muffins. Where'd I go wrong?

I replayed the afternoon to Joe later that night and couldn't help but smile about our outing. So often I find myself calling friends to join us on a nice afternoon out. I get busy visiting and chatting with the ladies, that I miss out on the pure joy my girls are experiencing. I miss out on laughing with them and talking with them and helping them learn. It was rejuvenating to be with my little munchkins, just the three of us, and enjoy every single word they spoke. These are the days that I will remember from when they were little. These perfectly, happy, days that we were together, focused on only each other. And the blueberries of course.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first trimester is by far the worst. I get sick just thinking about it. Glad you are through the worst of it! And can't wait to see that cute belly of yours.

Your "Scones" sound delicious! Have you ever made blueberry banana bread? It's amazing. I can send you uthe recipe if you'd like!

Tasha said...

You are such a good Mom. Are your girls in jackets already??? Amazing. It is seriously still int he 100's here. Oh well.

I am glad you had such a fun outting and that it was rejuvinating for all of you. It was right around week 13 I started doing a little better each day. It wasn't night and day for me, but definatly the nausia started to go away and by about week 15 I think it was completely gone. The whole energy thing, well, don't expect to get too much of that back. But, just getting rid of the nausia seems to bring me much more encouragment to conquer the being tired. I am glad you had such a great day out picking blue berries!

Jennifer said...

Kate prefers the green ones too! I am so glad you are feeling better. Glad you were able to get some quality mothering in. Though I don't think you could have possibly been in debt!

Shannon Crandall said...

So cute and I hope that you get better from here on out! You are such a great mom I love it! The tired thing is still something I am working on, I am afraid it will not ever go away.

Bryn said...

I have always always wanted to pick berries and never have! Gabriella looks so cute going around in her skirts and boots! She is so motherly, she is going to be so helpful when this cute little Chiara baby arrives. It sounds like you all had such a great time. What a great adventure and I am so glad you made it out amongnst the living!!! :)

Heather said...

I totally hear you on the time alone with your kids thing. I've had that same experience. It's times like that that you realize how fast time is going.

Cathy said...

Sounds like the perfect Northwest outing! Congratulations on another little one on the way! It feels so good to be able to give our kids some quality time, doesn't it? It makes me realize how fast time is flying when I take a moment to really enjoy them. So glad you're feeling better!

Tasha said...

I just had to tell you I posted pictures of Carly's wedding on my blog. I thought you might enjoy seeing them. :)