I have been thinking a lot about our future. Maybe it's because we have another little baby on the way. Maybe it's friends moving. Maybe it's because I'm another year older. I'm not really sure, but it's been on my mind.
Here we are in Washington. We've been here three years and will be here another two. After that, we have no idea where we could go. We don't even get to make that decision. It's a little unsettling. Sometimes, I feel like the only person in the world that has no idea where her family will end up. I feel like everyone else is in "their" home. The one they'll raise their family in forever. The neighborhood they chose specifically for good schools and a nice community. The one where their children's friends now will be the same cute little group they'll spend weekend nights with in high school. I feel anxious that it will be years until we're in that situation.
You see, we're in the Army. Some of you may not know that. Joe was accepted to medical school in St. Louis before we met. After only two weeks of dating, he deferred (see here for more of that story). Shortly after we got married, he received (what was no longer valid) his statement from the bank regarding his student loans. It was big. And it was only for a year. And it was for a single guy. Not a married one. He panicked to say the least.
I knew Joe was very money conscious. Neither of us even owned credit cards. Debt frightened him. And I knew that. I just didn't know to what extent. Weeks went by and the stress of going hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt was really weighing on him. I can remember him waking me up in the middle of the night after not sleeping again, and telling me he'd been thinking that we should join the Army.
Ha!
That's what I thought. He had to be kidding me. Oh no. He was dead serious.
After a lot of convincing, I finally agreed to researching a little more about what the Army would entail. We talked to other doctors who had joined, read every fine print, talked with our families, prayed, and made a huge decision. We joined.
Then 9/11 happened and things changed a little. We knew Joe wouldn't get deployed during school or residency. That was reassuring. We still have 2 years before it's even a possibility.
Then Joe chose to specialize in Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery. The Army hardly ever deploys ENT doctors. Another plus. And after we finish residency, we owe the Army 4 years of work. Where will that be? Who the heck knows?
I worry that we may end up in Louisiana or Korea for several years. But then, it could be Germany or the east coast. I would love that!
We would have never ever chosen to live in St. Louis or Washington. But you know what? We loved St. Louis. I hold such a special place in my heart for that city. And Washington? It couldn't be a better match for us. We feel like this is where we are suppose to be.
At times like this, when I start to think too much about our future, I am just reminded that we're happy as a family And we're living an adventure. It's a blessing to be able to live in different cultures and environments. Joe and I love our lives. We're looking forward to the future. But happy to not wish the present away. I actually can't wait to see where we are sent to next. But truth be told, it doesn't matter if the place sucks or not. We'll be together as a family, and it will be one adventure that only we'll be able to experience. That's exciting.
And honestly, I have no idea where I would choose to live if I had to choose today. I'm glad the Army is taking care of that for us for a few more years...even if it does mean feeling a little unsettled. That's the exciting part.
9.16.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
We're in the same boat- here in PR for two-four more years- then who knows where we'll end up or for how long we'll be there. I've decided the best attitude is that no matter where we end up- my kids and hubby are happy and healthy and that's all I need- that and the occasional Diet Dr. Pepper and Dove chocolate bar!!
I would change places with you in an instant! Sam is very comfortable living where he grew up and although I would LOVE to be somewhere else, both of us have our fears about moving the kids, safety, church activity, etc. I know there are places that would certainly suit me better but it's extremely hard to make that move when we have a decent job and a nice home. It goes to show how material possessions can tie you down.
I like what you said about never choosing St. Louis or Seattle but discovering that they were perfect for you. There are lots of days when I wish someone would assign us to a new place where we would need to lean on each other for support and companionship as well as have new places to explore on weekends. Enjoy your time as you get to move around. Besides, you and Joe seem to really live for each other and your girls. I think you're right in saying that you will find happiness wherever you are.
you sound like ever woman I have ever meet! We are always so concerned about where we will be for ever!Still as I sit here in my own home I wonder! See I fell in love with a home but have to send my kids to a poor rated school! Nothing is ever how we picture it!We have to roll with it I guess!
I'm with you. It's so great to have stability, and to know where you want to end up, and that it is actually a possibility to really end up there. I'm realizing this more and more the more I "grow up." It's great to know that our kids have great friends where we are, life is so family oriented, we live among some amazing people. We're happy here. And, chances are, we'll end up here.
BUT, I have a big problem. I WANT to live in Korea. Or the Philippines. Or in Costa Rica. I want to live an adventure. We lived all over the place growing up. And I know I learned SO much from that. I know I'm closer to my family because of it. I know I'm a stronger person because of it. So I crave the same things for my kids. The older I get, the more I realize it was no piece of cake for my parents to pack us all over the place. Lugging nine kids with all their luggage and paraphernalia around the planet can in no way be easy. And what about all our feelings? I about died when we moved to England when I was in high school. But now I can never thank my parents enough for it.
So, in a way I'm jealous of your unknown. In some ways I'd love for someone to come to me and say, "ok, you have to move to ....." What an adventure!
I guess there's pros and cons for both, but I keep begging Dave to figure out how his job can get us to a foreign country. Not forever, but at least to give us that depth of experience. So, I'm excited for you and whatever experience comes next...especially the birth of a new baby!
Jamie you just spoke for millions of us everywhere.
I had idea you guys were Army.
A lil story...my cousin is Air Force. Or her husband is.. but she is too. Two little ones and bam...9 moves before they were 8 and 10. She loved it. The kids loved it. It has been amazing for them.
They have lived in Greece, Germany, Texas, Florida, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, just to name a few. They LOVE it. He was active, a little too active as an Air Force General, when 911 happened, but she would not change a thing. The kids were little enough to love the journies and now are old enough to love being settled where they will live now,for good!
You are blessed with a wonderful family at home and the extended one I know. No matter where you go, your family will be there for you!
Jamie, of course I echo all of your thoughts. It is always sad to say good-bye to a place with all it's people and memories but such an adventure in a new place. It is amazing how you just feel like you can own a new city. In years to come when I am settled in who knows where I will hear somebody talking about Columbus Georgia and think... 'that was my city.' I am SO grateful to have experienced so many different places. What a blessing.
Hopefully your next location will be Georgia... it doesn't hurt to have old friends in a new adventure.
Jamie, your kids are so cute! Oh my gosh! Thanks for letting me in on your blog. What an experience you are having! Like what you've seen, taking risks can be costly at times, but we all can learn to love life no matter what is thrown at us. Thanks for being so rad. your pal, Brian Markham
I think nobody really knows what their future holds, even if they never move from the block they're on. We will all be tested to our full capacity, that is how we grow.
And like you said, in the end it all comes down to your own family. Just keep smiling, like you do. Attitude is powerful.
Growing up I went to 5 different elementry schools and lived in over 10 different houses before I moved out. I guess I'm saying home is where your family is. Schools, friends, and houses come and go, but your family is where your home is. I think you have the right idea, life is an adventure and if you sit still too long you may miss it:)
I have felt this way since we got married.
We were waiting on Masters Programs.... Chicago it was. Then we were waiting on Schools to teach at UCI. Then we decided on a PhD.... more waiting and then... Denver. 3 years from now we will be somewhere else. We could be settling in Massachusetts or Minnesota. Alabama or Arizona. We will go where a University hires Dave.
Its a little scary and nerve racking. But it has always been an adventure and we have always loved each and every step. I cant imagine our lives without any one of those pieces.
It makes for adventure and excitement. We have the rest of our lives to be safe and settled. Its kinda' fun to just not have a clue!
I had no idea you were in the army, but things will work out. My cousin just finished her husband doing dental school, 3 years of the army, orthodonics school, and finally after 12 years of marriage finally settling someplace. It will all work out in the end and you are one incredibly amazing woman who will make each change special and wonderful for your children. It just seems to be in your nature. I read your blog continually because you inspire me to be a better mother, friend, and person. Your children are lucky to have you and your husband too.
PS and HAPPY BIRTHDAY a day late!!!! I hope you had a nice birthday :)
What a perfect post for how I've been feeling lately. Thank you for being the one to spell it out. You say it so well and better than I ever could. It's so hard to leave ones we love. I have to think about the blessings I have.. the gospel, my family, friends, and blogging to make the world a little closer. I'm also excited for new adventures and especially for our little family to be together again.
Post a Comment