
When Gwen was born, Gabs was only 22 months old. She had no idea what was going on. I don't think she ever noticed my growing belly, or lack of energy. We tried to tell her that a baby was coming, but she just didn't get it.
Once Gwen arrived, nothing changed. Gabs didn't have a hard transition to having a new baby in the house, because I don't think she even noticed. She just kept right on doing what she always did. There was never any anger or jealousy. For months, Gwen was just a sleepy baby on the couch that didn't affect Gabs what so ever.
My mom loves to tell the story of when Gwen was a few days old and we brought her home from the hospital. Apparently, Joe had Gwen down on the floor with him and Gabs, and Gabs was jumping over Gwen like she was a barrel. A 22 month old jumping over a newborn. That's about the extent of attention Gwen got from her older sister.
Before Henry was born, Gabs would often tell me all that she was going to do to help with the new baby. A few days before I went to the hospital we decided that we would call her "Big Sister Momma." She loved it.
She has lived up to that name whole heartily. She is such a big help. I didn't expect a 4 year old to be so helpful. She loves getting his diapers and wipes. Going on a scavenger hunt for the pacifier Gwen walked away with. Running to his dresser to pick out a new outfit to replace the one he spit up on. She holds him after he eats and loves when he falls asleep in her arms. My wiggly little 4 year old actually holds still long enough for a baby to fall asleep. Unreal. Her favorite thing is to "keep an eye on him" while I go to the bathroom or get Gwen out of her crib. She feels so proud when I've left him for a second so she can babysit him.
I love to listen to her talk to him. She uses such a sweet voice and her tone is gentle and loving. I've heard her talk to him about the pricks in his heel that he would be getting. I've heard her talk about the hiccups he was experiencing. I loved when she asked him if he likes our house.
I never wanted a baby to come into our home and be off limits. I want my children to love and hug and kiss and hold that baby as much as they'd like. Both Gabriella and Gwen have been loving Henry more than I imagined. It makes me so proud. I don't know if I'll be letting Henry be an obstacle to jump over in their obstacle course anytime soon, but one's thing for sure...he has a couple momma's who love every ounce of him.
Lucky lucky boy.

8 comments:
I love that. What a huge blessing to have her want to help you so much. That makes life so much easier. The picture is adorable and I just can't wait to meet this little guy. We so look forward to seeing your whole family real soon. Love you
You always say it soo sweetly. What a lucky family you are togehter. I love the picture of Henry with his "big sister Momma".
She is at a perfect age!So loving and helpful and can really enjoy the newness of a baby!!!She's a lucky girl and so are you guys!It's fun to see them fall in love too!
Hi Jamie, I came here through your other blog and found out about little Henry! Congratulations! What a lovely family - gorgeous photos. And so beautifully written. Didn't want to just read and leave without commenting but felt a little intrusive, being a stranger and all. Still, I wanted to say that I relate to what you wrote about suddenly realizing your girls got big, heightened maybe by the anticipation of their new brother coming. I almost wish I could freeze time so my girls (4ish,2ish, and 11 mths) stay just as they are! But how proud I am when I realize they are more grown-up today than they were last month. All bittersweet and yet it's all good too. Paradox, motherhood is. I hope these early weeks with Henry and the girls will be kind to you and your husband- am sure you'll be building all sorts of lovely memories.
Lorraine
http://bupbilla.blogspot.com
No surprise that they love their little brother. It's just automatic. I love experiencing a new baby in the family through the eyes of my children. Heart warming...
That is so sweet. What a good big sister. I too like my kids to hold, hug, and love their baby brother. I don't want them recentful of the new sibling. it is something special to have the older ones just love their new sibling. You are such a good Mom and I love hearing how much Gabs just loves her new brother.
Gabs is going to make the best mommy some day. She is so loving and sweet and gentle. She is going to love being the big sister to all the little ones in your family. She has the perfect tempermant for it. I love little Henry's face; you can see how soft she is being with him in this picture. So precious!
She is so adorable!!! I love that she is Big Sister Momma! And how nice to have all that help from her! He definitely has the best 2 big sisters!!!
Post a Comment