4.01.2009

It's Not Fair


Growing up I was lucky enough to have my twin sister to do everything with. We had the same friends, played on the same teams, and went everywhere together. Where she went, I went. Where I went, she went. We were a package deal. No one even expected to see us separate.

I remember the first time we weren't both included though. We were in fourth or fifth grade and Bryn was invited to Knott's Scary Farm with a friend. Not both of us. Just Bryn. I remember being devastated. It was like a dagger had stabbed me in the heart. For the first time we weren't equal. A friend had chosen, and they had chosen Bryn. It was horrible.

So Bryn got to go to Knott's Scary Farm and sleep over at my use to be friend's house. If I remember correctly, my mom was out of town and couldn't believe that my dad allowed Bryn to go without me. I mean what kind of friend splits up twins? It's unthinkable! I'm pretty sure my mom was ticked off enough that she insisted my dad do something with me so I wouldn't feel so bad. He took me to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. Woo-hoo (no offense dad, but a fourth grader with her dad...not so cool).

But then, when we were in high school, I was asked out on a date. This wasn't a typical, ordinary high school date. This was a date to LA to go see Phantom of the Opera. I was so excited. And this time, Bryn was left out. Again, my mom felt horrible that one of us was getting to do something great without the other. So, Bryn got to go to Arizona to visit my sister for the weekend. By the way, that was a way better consolation prize mom.

But, I understand now. It broke my moms heart to see us not get the same things. I understand that now, because my heart gets broken when it happens to my girls.

Gabs and Gwen are the best of friends. But Gabriella is older and she has other friends too. She gets to go to preschool and on play dates. Just in the month of March, she went to four birthday parties. We had to tell Gwen each time, that just Gabs got to go. Gwen knew the friends having the party, she thinks they're best friends too. But she's two and of course she wasn't invited. It killed me each time.

We often have play dates at the very homes that Gabs goes to preschool. Gwen just cries in the car when we drop Gabriella off for preschool because she wants to go too. She gets to play at those homes, but doesn't get to go to preschool there. It just doesn't make sense to her. I feel awful each time she has to say good bye to Gabs. I know she is so confused and hurt by it all. Just the other day we went to sign Gabriella up for preschool for next year, and poor Gwen thought the whole time that it was her school too. I broke her heart again when I told her it was only for Gabriella this time.

So, like my mom, I too try to find ways to make Gwen feel better. It's hard for a mother to see how unfair it is. We try to have as many play dates here, so Gwen is included too. I buy her a bag of marshmallows to eat while we're at the super market. Or I'll ask for a few extra suckers at the bank for her to eat. We'll stop in at the local children's museum during Gabriella's preschool. Or we'll drink a few mugs of hot chocolate at home while playing Pet shops together. But, I admit, it all seems like sloppy seconds. I know she would rather be doing what Gabriella gets to do.

We have a rule in our house that no one is allowed to say, "it's not fair." We just don't say it about anything. Who gets to do something first, who gets what color plate, who has to pick certain toys up. Those three words are not allowed to be spoken in our home.

But I can type it. It's not fair.

These two little girls are so close. They love each other and are dear friends. I wish they could have the same exact things. I wish they could do everything together. I wish everything could be equal and fair.

But it's not. It's not fair at all.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I remember feeling the same way. My sister is 19 months older than I. She is my best friend. I was so jealous when she started going to YW activities. Unfortunately, my parents did just tell me, "Well, life is not fair." Ouch! I still don't believe those words.

nicole said...

Such a sweet post and so sad for Gwen. She really does love her sister. It's a reason why I'm glad I have one of each. They are such good friends, but have such different interests too. Dylan goes on a play date and Isaac loves his date with me. It's a time for him to get me all to himself and he loves that. We can't wait to see you next month. Don't let Henry get too big before you get here!

Lisa said...

Jamie. Believe it or not our family has a 'It's not fair' song that we sing any time anyone says it's not fair... I'll type it but it's not as good as the real thing!...

"It's not fair, It's not fair,
For ________________
Don't you dare say it's fair,
When it's NOT NOT NOT.
It's not fair, It's not fair,
For _________________.
But we sure love him/her a
LOT LOT LOT."

We break into song whenever we hear these words... and consequently the kids either start laughing or choose to not even say "it's not fair" to begin with. Come to think of it, we haven't sang it for awhile!!

Your girls are always so fashionable... surprise, surprise!

Becca said...

that's a page right out of our book too! Being only two years apart doesn't help wither and it only gets worse! No easy fix! It always ends in tears over here too! totally breaks a moms heart!

and for real!I am so ready to throw out all my kid plates and buy new ones all the same color just to stop the fighting over the pink or green plate! ugg!

Bryn said...

Thankfully Dax hasn't learned that phrase, but I like your rule that it's a no go. You'll have to thank Lisa for sharing that song they sing. I can totally remember both those times we were seperated. It wasn't fair and it is no fun, but what fun we had when we were back together. I bet it'll make the time for your girls together all the better. Adorable pictures! Your girls have more style than I do! :)

Tasha said...

You are right . . .it really is not fair. I too was like you. I didn't have a twin, but Carly really could have been. Even now sometimes I wish we lived closer so I could have her to go with me to things. It is hard for me to see my boys not get to go to one thing that the other does get to. I love to see how much Gabs and Gwen love each other. Sisters really are the best.

Jennifer said...

Sometimes life just sucks. I just swore on your blog. I think my worst experience was when My sister (two years younger) got asked to the senior prom and I didn't (the senior). Kate also feels the pain when Emily has solo play dates with her friends. That's why I love Sophie Crawford so much. He little heart is so big that she is always soooo sweet to kate too. You will find that those kinds of friends are the ones you start to love the most. The friends that love and can play with all your children will hold a special place in your heart. We will have to have Gabs and Gwen over next time;-) And then maybe you can take a nap....

Honeycombs said...

The nice thing is that now you have one-on-one time with Gwen. You once had that time with only Gabs so just think of it as making life more fair. Also when Gabs turns 30, 40, 50...Gwen will have the luck of still only being 28,38,48 and somehow that makes up a little for all the playdates she doesn't get to have right now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is a tough one. Anna and Ellie were pretty lucky, because they share a lot of friends. Many kids at church are in Anna's church class but Ellie's school class. But Liv, she always gets left out and it just stinks. A few weeks ago Ellie had a school party and the whole way home Olivia cried to turn the car around. She was devastated. But you know, kids need their own time and the little ones will get there own soon enough.

BTW, we have the same gray dress. Anna wears it every single sunday. It's her favorite!