6.08.2009

The Good, The Bad And The Sucky


Is thumb sucking genetic?

I wonder, because all three of our children have gotten it down pat by three months old.

Gabs was a maniac. We could hear her sucking her thumb in her crib down the hall. We've always limited her thumb sucking to bed time, so I don't have to see it. I think, at night, on occasion, she still sucks her thumb. But I truthfully don't know.

Gwen became a thumb sucker as well. Same story though. It was only allowed at bed time. Then she broke her arm at 18 months. We had to bandage her arm up at night, and that ended her thumb sucking. Gabs tells me, "when I break my arm, then I'll stop sucking my thumb." Great.

Then there's Mr. Henry. Three months old and a total thumb sucker. Does the same as the girls did. Spits out his pacifier and sticks in his thumb. Happy as a lark.

We, however, can't seem to limit it to sleepy time. He loves his thumb and sucks it whenever I turn my back. He's still so new, that even the littlest amount of sucking puts him right to sleep. He'd lay sleeping and sucking that thumb all day long if I'd let him. He's not loud like Gabriella was. He's sneaky and quiet about it. I don't even know it's happening.

So the Sucky part is, Henry sucks his thumb and I can't help myself, I think it's adorable. That's not helping the situation.

The Bad part is, he's no closet sucker. Does it in broad daylight, anywhere he wants. That could lead to a very bad habit that I really don't like at all.

The Good is that he's totally sleeping through the night.

So for now, the good totally trumps the bad and the sucky.

Totally trumps it.

As far as Henry asleep on the couch in the same spot in all the pictures, let me explain. He has to lay on the lounge, because that way, the girls can both be closest to him. One on each side of the sofa. If I put him on a part of the couch that doesn't allow both girls equal access, there's fighting over who can see him better, who's closest and who he's looking at. That leads to pushing and tears (from Henry and the girls). So in his special spot he lays. It's all in the name of love. Don't think I'm cruel that he lays there all alone. I assure you, he will never have to worry about neglect with good big sister like Gabriella and Gwen.

And yes, he sleeps with his eyes half open. It's a little freaky. See picture 3.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Only one of my three is a thumb sucker. And, yes, I use present tense because we still haven't broken her of the habit. Only at night, but still . . . {and since I say 'her', you know how old she is--waaaaaaaay too old for thumb-sucking}.

Pics are adorable, and he is super cute--eyes half-open or not.

Shanen said...

He is a doll. A very handsome doll. I love the reasoning for being in that perfect spot on the couch...I can't wait for the post whne he has started to roll over. =) What trick do you have up your sleeve? The girls will always take good care of him.

I love the past posts too, I have had no time for blog looking and leaving messages, but I was glad to know that I was the first to invision the ketchup finger painting. =) Love you all

DEANNA said...

SOOO SWEET. I HAVE ONE THUMB SUCKER AND IT STILL HAPPENS LATE AT NIGHT BUT I WILL NEVER TELL WHO IT IS.


THAT IS SO CUTE HOW YOU SPLIT THE SPOT SO THE GIRLS GET EQUAL TIME WITH HIM AND EQUAL LOOKING!

I WISH WE COULD HAVE CHATTED MORE WHEN YOU WERE HERE...BUT BABY DUTIES TRUMP ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

Honeycombs said...

All it took was one binky baby for me to fall in love with thumb and finger sucking with both Miya and Lyla. The sleeping through the night does trump everything.

Jennifer said...

You are finally getting sleep! Yeah... no matter how poor little Henry has figured out how to do it. No harm now either. And later...well...let the orthodontist worry about that:-)

Isn't Henry lucky that he has three mommies. Even if two of them are pint sized;-)

Bryn said...

Your kids totally take after their cool Aunt Bryn! How old was I when I stop stucking my thumb? Way to old!! I am still convinced it shrunk from all that sucking and is shorter than my other thumb. But I agree with you, it's way, totally cute! He's such a sweetie!

Becca said...

don't worry, we all think it's adorable. but coming from a thumb sucker herself, it's one of those habits we fight... but yeah it's way adorable!

Lisa said...

It is totally cute and I agree... sleeping through the night trumps everything else... for now.

Tasha said...

Could the little boy be any cuter? I think not! I love this post. Oh the things we think are cute and "necessary for survival" with little one #3. I sure do love those pictures. I love that he has to be at that spot to keep from fights and tears. I can totally relate to that one. I think we need a couch like yours. Good luck with the thumb sucking. Glad he sleeping through the night!! We are down to just on feeding (for 90% of the time at least) and that makes me happy :)