6.02.2009

Summer Memories


Playing in backyard sprinklers is one of those all American summer past times. I can remember summers filled with having sprinkler birthday parties with the slip and slide. And riding my beach cruiser in my cut off jean shorts and swim suit to my friends house for a little sprinkler fun. Sprinklers make me want to blast Motown music and serve lemonade or Coca Cola out of the bottle. And wait for the ice cream man to come to buy a Big Stick (if she decides to come that is). Sprinklers just simplify life. Nothing extravagant of expensive. Just good old fashion fun meant to be shared with friends. And it was.

But here's my question-why do only little kids run through sprinklers? At what point does it become unacceptable to play in sprinklers? Once you start school? Once you learn to swim? Once you are 28? Because if my friends hadn't been here, I might have joined right in with those cute kiddos.

So here's to creating summer sprinkler memories for my children with their friends. Maybe I'll tell the moms to bring their swimsuits next time too.

6 comments:

nicole said...

Such a sweet picture. I'm not sure when we grew out of it. Was it when we got the pool? All the kids look like they are having a great time.

Becca said...

sprinklers are the best!!! Cheap good old summer fun!!! I even want to join in.

Funny story...When Mike and I wee first married living in Provo we lived in a basement apartment of an old brick home. in the summer it was torture! No air and we would babe. One night we couldn't stand it so at about 1 am we went into the back yard, turned on the sprinkler and had ourselves a cooling off sprinkler run!!

Jennifer said...

I can not let Emily and Chase play in the sprinklers at the same time that Katie and her friends are playing in them because they take over and make everyone cry. But boy...let me tell you, do they ever get mad when I don't let them play. So it is at least cool while you are still in elelmentary school.

DEANNA said...

I STILL PLAY IN THE SPRINKLERS WITH MY KIDS EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE A POOL... I HAPPILY DANCE IN THE RAIN IN THE FRONT YARD AND I WILL SLIDE DOWN OUR JUMPEE TOO.. THEN AGAIN, I AM NOT NORMAL OR SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD!!

I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD MORE THAN 2 MINUTES TO CHAT WITH YOU WHEN YOU WERE DOWN HERE. YOU LOOK AWESOME .... AND HE IS ONLY A FEW MONTHS OLD. I AM JEALOUS!!!

MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU VISIT YOU AN HANG OUT FRONT AND SEE HOW WE JUST WATCH ALL THE KIDS PLAY!!

tiny said...

Hmm....yesterday at our water fight I went down the slip-in-slide in my clothes. The kids thought it was funny! They needed someone to show them how it was done. Reminded me of softball camp days when they would roll out the tarp and hose and let us practice sliding. :)

Tasha said...

It is just so true. There is something magical and wonderful about those things. I have way too many memories of them myself. And even when we lived in the other house and could go to a pool across the street we still ran through the sprinklers way more times then we went to the pool.