10.25.2009

Dad Is Great

Bill Cosby has a stand up routine where his wife wakes up sick and asks him to go down stairs and make his children breakfast. Reluctantly, he goes. When his 4 year old comes down stairs Bill Cosby asks what she wants for breakfast. The 4 year old responds "chocolate cake." So that's what she gets. Then the other 4 children come down to the kitchen and ask for chocolate cake too. So the children eat chocolate cake. They sit around eating and singing a song "Dad is great. He gives us chocolate cake."
Joe use to watch this routine as a boy. And has talked about it and quoted it many times.
But today, he earned his title of being "great".
I have been sick on the couch since early this morning. I've hardly moved. As I lay here, I've watched my dear husband care for our children. And feed them. And he certainly is great.
Today the girls ate two pieces of pumpkin pie for breakfast.
Before church he hurried and feed them lunch. Two more pieces each of pumpkin pie.
When they got home from church he made them a snack. Macaroni and cheese with hot dogs. They ate about four bites and then asked for Twinkies. Which they got.
After about twenty minutes I heard Gwen go into the pantry. She got out the Lucky Charms. She took out handfuls of cereal and put them into a pink plastic cup. She came and sat by me on the couch and ate. But just the marshmellows. Then she refilled. And ate more marshmellows.
Dad sure is great. And it's only 6:00.
I wonder what's for dinner.

5 comments:

The Seaquist Family said...

OK, I used to listen to that tape all the time. One of my favorites. Chocolate cake and grapefruit juice! Guess Dad's are always great...even when they find nutrition is the most unique things. Love it! So funny

Tasha said...

That is awesome. Dads sure are great. And hey, you didn't have to do a thing. Those girls are going to have such wonderful memories of their Dad and their Mom. They are going to be hard shoes to fill. You are both too fun. I love love loved this post. Thanks for always putting a smile on my face.

Jennifer said...

So funny! Joe is their hero. Hope you are feeling better.

PS We don't even buy Lucky Charms anymore because that is exactly what Sara does. Everytime I give in and buy it, I find her sitting on the pantry floor digging out all the marshmellows...

Jamie C. said...

Jenn I agree. Eating just the marshmellows is strictly forbidden at our house. But the girls promised me they would eat ALL the cereal if I bought it. So I did. And they do eat all the cereal...when I'm around. But since I was down and out yesterday and couldn't muster up enough energy to enforce rules, they got away with eating just the marshmellows. And that is why dad is great.

Dana said...

So funny! Jared quotes it too!