July 7, 2009
November 4, 2009
December 2, 2009Last week Gabriella had a birthday. I couldn't help but reflect on her little life and how much she has grown. Mostly I have noticed her compassion and awareness of those around her. She's kind, helpful, polite and sincere. Every time I leave her for some reason or another, whether it's school, or a playdate, I always tell her, "Do something nice for someone and be a good friend." She often comes home and reports her good deeds to me or how she befriended someone at school that didn't have anyone to play with. I'm proud of the little girl she is and the young lady she's becoming.
A few months ago, I recorded for my birthday the type of mother I am at 29. I like the tradition I started there, and I thought I best record the type of kids my children are on their birthday. Forgive me Gwen for not thinking of this a few weeks ago. I wanted to record and remember the type of girls Gabriella and Gwen are at 5 and 3 and the things they love to do and play. As a mom, I watch and listen minute by minute the things my kids do and say. But the truth is, I'll forget. Maybe not everything, but the details and specifics about their little lives will vanish with time. In effort to preserve those memories and have my little children know the types of kids they were, here are "5" things that define Gabriella and Gwen and what their life was like at 5 and 3.
1. They love to play what they call "Pack Up." It's a game that came to be after one of our trips this summer. The idea is to get every possible thing that can carry something and fill it full of toys. And when I say "every possible thing", I mean everything. Purses, backpacks, buckets, gift bags, Ziploc bags, pillow cases, you name it, they fill it. They go from room to room, carrying and dragging their loot with them, pretending each room is a different destination. Hawaii and Alaska (both places we've left them for) are among their favorite places to pretend to visit. This game keeps them entertained for hours. They play it often. But boy oh boy, does it stink to clean up at the end of the day!
2. "Pet Owner" is another favorite. Gabriella loves to play the owner and Gwen loves to be the kitty. Sometimes she's a mean kitty, and other times she's a nice kitty. Gabriella goes to the "pet shop" and picks her out. She puts one of her pink leases on Gwen and Gwen crawls all around the house meowing and licking her "paws" to get clean. It's a riot. Gwen always says that her name is "Sarafina". Most of the time, the kitty gets hurt somehow, and Gabriella gets out her doctor kit to wrap Gwen's arms and legs in ace bandages. Again, hours of entertainment for all.
3. Frequently we are subject to a picnic or an episode of Iron Chef. The girls love to run to their kitchen and make a bunch of food as fast as they can and then set up a picnic meal for us. It's very serious and laughing is not allowed. They serve us our dishes and we have to eew and ahh at their wonderful dishes. Gabriella's favorite meal to make is something called "cra-son-gi-von." Every time, we eat this crosongivon dish. It's delicious!
4. Dressing up occurs nearly everyday in our house. The pretending is endless. I love how their walks change and their voices sound different depending on what dress up they are in. Among their favorite dress ups are Jane from Tarzan and their Ariel dress. They love to take their stuffed animals and play mom to them. They will be fantastic mothers. I especially love when they somehow work Henry into the mix. There isn't much that makes me happier than seeing the girls dress up. I smile every time.
5. Lastly, at this age Gabs is obsessed with writing letters. She's written letters for a few years now, but it seems she is just realizing letters actually spell words. She loves to copy words from books and is always asking how to spell things. Papers throughout the house have her letters jotted across them. She writes on everything. Scrapbook paper, envelopes, note pads, computer paper, mail, bills, important paper work, etc. I love her eagerness to write.
I feel so blessed to have these two little girls. I wish they'd stop growing! Sometimes I wish we were like the Truman show and that somehow everything we were doing was being recorded so we would have these memories for a lifetime. I guess this little journal of mine will have to do. One day, I know, my kids will appreciate it. I promise kids, everything I write is for you!
P.S...after another meltdown Friday night and thinking I had lost my girls forever, something happened overnight and these two girls woke up Saturday morning better than ever. The whole weekend was such a joy and they played unbelievably well together. It seems I have my girls back. It guess all the birthday and Christmas festivities got the best of them and they were exhausted. Maybe I was a little too...


3 comments:
How did you manage to get two little girls who play so well together and my boys literally rip each other's heads off every other second? I don't know what it's like to raise girls, but it sure sounds nice when they are as good as yours!! I love Gwen licking her paws! :)
Jamie,
I LOVE your photography! You are so artistic and capture life with such honesty, I feel like I could reach through the computer screen into your living room. Plus, your family is darling and your house looks so peaceful and happy.
Hope all is well! Merry Christmas!
Love,
Elise
James! I love the new header!! What a picture perfect family! When was this taken? I don't remember hearing about it? You look so great...as always! I love the way Gwen is peering up at you! So cute the whole family! xoxox
Post a Comment