1.06.2010

Rum Tum Tugger



My dad has always told Gabriella that she has Rum Tum Tugger hair. She had wild hair as a toddler and would wake up in the mornings and after naps with the most wonky hair you'd ever seen. When she was a little older he would tell her that she had beautiful strawberry blonde hair. And Gabs would always reply, "It's not strawberry blonde. It's blueberry blonde." Because, at the time, her favorite was Blueberry Muffin, not the more popular Strawberry Shortcake. It made my dad laugh every time. He continued to tease her about her "strawberry blonde" hair, because she was, and still is, so sure and adamant that her hair is not strawberry blonde.
I guess it has been awhile since the two of them had this little rehearsed conversation, because the other week we were talking to my parents on Skype for the first time, and the dialogue changed a bit. My dad told her once again that she had such beautiful strawberry blonde hair. Gabriella told him this time, "It's vanilla. Not strawberry." She must think my dad is crazy and unsure why he keeps telling her her hair is red like strawberry, when it's obviously blonde like vanilla.
She was born with curly locks of strawberry blonde hair. The nurses at the hospital told me that they were talking while she was in the nursery and had decided that she had arranged to go to a beauty salon to get highlights before she was born, because they had never seen so much light hair on a newborn. She could wear piggies in her hair just after her first birthday. She has received several, few inch, cuts, and still her hair is just like mine, grows like a weed and is super long. She never cries or complains when I comb it. And she always patiently waits for me to style it. She's an easy hair girl. No drama, for a change, in the hair department.
For months, really ever since Gwen got her hair "trim", she has been telling me that she has wanted to cut her hair. I couldn't bring myself to do it. You see, my hair is my security. I've had long hair most my life. And when I, irrationally, decided to cut my hair, I wished for my long hair back. I hate short hair on me. I don't look good with short hair. So, I've kept my hair long. And as I kept giving Gabriella excuse after excuse as to why we couldn't go get her hair cut, I realized, her long hair too, had become a security for me. I just couldn't bring myself to cut her gorgeous long hair. Her hair is part of who she is. And I couldn't cut it off.
Finally, over the Christmas break she asked again to cut her hair. I decided I needed to let go of my own personal insecurities and let the poor girl get her hair cut. That's what she wanted, and she's old enough to have her hair the way she wants it. So I told her we'd go.
I whisked her out of the tub before I lost my courage and we got ready to go. I snapped a few pictures for fear I'd loss all memory of her long hair and we set out to get it cut.
On the way, she announced she wanted it cut "all the way down to her neck." Her neck?!! I was not prepared for that dramatic of a change. I called Joe (who loves her long hair), my mom, and Bryn for reinforcement. I'm stupid I know, but I was nervous!
As soon as I told all of them where we were going, they all said the same thing. "You can't cut her long hair."
I KNOW!
But we were on our way and it was going to happen. So I told her we'd compromise and she could cut it to her shoulders. She was so giddy she could hardly sit still in the chair. I could hardly look.
I watched her pretty blonde locks fall to the floor and couldn't believe how much was being cut off. She was beaming and kept tossing her hair from side to side.
She looks cute. But different. And I'm glad her hair grows fast. Because I want it long again.
But not Gabs. She loves it. And shows everyone her hair cut.
So I guess I'm the only one with hair drama.

8 comments:

Carly said...

She looks so grown up! (Probably not what you want to hear, sorry.) I have hair drama too. Every time I cut my hair short (whether that means cutting 5 inches or when I went to my chin right before my mission) I super regret it... but at the same time, I often hate how much work it is long. I'm always going back and forth about it. Every time I go to get it "trimmed" (literally 1/4'' to 1'') and I stress out the whole time they'll cut too much). Then I get home and am disappointed that it's still SO long. Sigh.

At least she's happy with it, right??

Shanen said...

Aww, that's the first thing I said out loud before I opened the comments, "She looks so grown up!" Good for you, and I am the total opposite, I would cut the girls hair in a heart beat, especially Kobi's. I LOVED her hair short. But, they both want the long hair. Maybe that's why I keep cutting mine shorter. It's adorable.

Tasha said...

Wow, she really does look older. But, she is still a beauty. I am glad you talked her into the shoulders first. I am with you and long hair. My hair is a security too. Infact my husband told me this last time I went to get it cut that I should try going shorter. I couldn't do it. Not even to please him. Sigh. I think she looks beautiful! And it is still long enough that you can do lots of fun things with it. Aren't we funny as Moms.

MyR said...

Gabs looks CUTE!!! A couple years ago Tyann wanted her hair cut "right up to her shoulders" and I had a hard time but she was insistent too. She looked through a magazine and picked out a SHORT bob cut. I defiantly had a harder time with it and miss her hair more than she has. She's wanted it short since.

Anonymous said...

I remember when we cut Anna's long blond hair off. I had a stomach ache for days. She loved it and felt so pretty, but I missed her long hair and how unique it was.

Now a year later she wishes it were long and we're in the process of growing it out! And now I miss her short hair. :)

Hey, I've been meaning to write you about the fans you did in your girls room. How did you do them? I'm looking for an inexpensive way to liven up their walls.

Honeycombs said...

I love her new do and am glad she loves it.

Bryn said...

Oh man, I think this is one of the many reasons why I have boys. I get sick when we cut their hair...and they are boys!!! Maybe that is why they only get a hair cut about once a year! We must have an aversion to hair cuts or something. She looks adorable and very "vanilla" blonde. Give her lots of kisses!

Oh, and thanks for the wikipedia link for Rum Tum Tuggur...I thought dad was just talking crazy again :)

Cathy said...

I can imagine that getting her hair cut would be very hard, but she looks darling. She has beautiful hair, no matter what length. And, like you said, it grows fast!