I told you the other night that I wanted to celebrate my birthday by taking you girls to get your ears pierced. Your dad gave me a crazy-what-on earth-are-you-saying-look. We were sitting at the dinner table and you cheered in delight. For about 3 seconds. Then you immediately got scared and remembered what I had told you about getting your ears pierced. That it hurts really bad. And you said that you wanted to wait until you were eight like we planned. I acted disappointed and said, "Oh. Okay. Maybe we can go get ice cream instead then." I looked at your dad and smiled. Because I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that you would never ever agree to go get your ears pierced. I knew because I'm your mom. Just like I know when I serve you quesadillas and apples for lunch, that Gabs will eat all her quesadilla and leave her apples, while Gwen will gobble up all her apples first and won't even touch her quesadilla. And Henry, I know you'll just throw it all on the floor, so I usually just give you your 15th cup of milk and leave it at that.
I know you kids perfectly. But I want you to know me perfectly through the years too. And since I know you won't remember these years of me being your mom, I'm keeping with my new favorite birthday tradition from last year and would like to share thirty things about me as your mom, right now, that bring complete delight to my life...
1. I let you put your own powdered sugar and syrup on your crepes and waffles even though there's always WAY too much on your plate and even more ends up on the floor, in your hair, and down the front of your pajamas.
2. I call each of you "love" when I talk to you.
3. I paint your toenails and fingernails regularly. You love it when I alternate the colors between your nails. Usually we do a combo red/purple look (Gabs), or pink/purple look (Gwen). And I always have to finish it off with a glitter coat, because you like to have "jewels" on your nails.
4. I have been known to serve you popcorn for breakfast. Okay, in my defense I was sickly pregnant and we were moving in less than a week. Shh, don't tell daddy.
5. If you ask what's for dinner, I always, always tell you "broccoli stew." If you complain about dinner, I tell you we have some broccoli stew. If, after dinner, you tell me that you ate a really good dinner and should get dessert, I tell you we have some broccoli stew. I get a kick out of watching you roll your eyes at my never ending, lame broccoli stew teases. You know I am never serious.
6. You laugh hysterically when I shake the car from side to side to keep Henry from falling asleep when we are nearly home.
7. I let you play "salon" and do my hair and makeup. I think I enjoy it even more than you do. I am always suggesting we play salon. I love it.
8. I probably don't bathe you as often as I should. Sorry.
9. I keep a blanket and pillow under our bed in case you have a bad dream and need to spend the rest of the night on the floor next to my side of the bed. I never send you away after a bad dream, I know they're scary. Sorry I don't let you in bed though, that's against the rules.
10. I always display your colorings and drawings on the fridge when you give them to me, at least for a couple days. You kids draw A LOT, especially you Gwen, and my fridge gets really full, but I want you to know how special I think your artwork is and how proud of it you should be.
11. I always count to make sure you have the same amount of sliced hot dogs in your mac-and-cheese so everyone is equal. You don't notice yet, but one day you'll think someone got more than you and I want to make sure you know I have kept it fair.
12. I shop for Christmas year round. Should I die, look on the highest shelf in my closet. You'll find oodles and oodles of gifts and things I just can't wait to give you on Christmas morning. Sometimes I don't even wait for Christmas, I just give you something new because the time seems right and I feel like it. It's so fun for me.
13. I worry for you as if I were you going through what you are. Before your first day of school, I literally can't sleep.
14. I cherish the times I get one of you by yourself. I love finding quiet moments when you are playing by yourself in your room to sit down and be with you. Or when I can sneak one of you off and run around town with me. Henry- I have yet to enjoy the errand running with you yet, hopefully one day.
15. I let you girls get into each others beds at night and play at bedtime if you've had a particularly good time playing that day. I can't bring myself to split up happy play time. It's the sound I want to hear every night...you two giggling and getting along.
16. I love to play wooden magnet dolls with you. Don't worry, I won't ever get rid of them. I'll keep them for the grandchildren so you can play with them when your my age too. It's really fun.
17. When a rain storm comes on a warm summer day, I let you play outside in your clothes without shoes on. You all LOVE this. But I especially love it because you get to be so carefree and it makes my day to see you so unrestrained.
18. I play along when you introduce me to a new imaginary friend...even if it means buckling their seat belt, or kissing them good night. I always want your imaginations to run wild. I think it's important to foster good, creative, imaginary play.
19. I throw away toys when you're not looking. Luckily, I'm very sneaky and you haven't caught me yet. Good golly you kids have a lot of toys!
20. I make you cinnamon sugar toast nearly every morning to eat with your breakfast.
21. I like to pretend I don't hear you when you walk up to me and ask me a question over and over, then scare you by answering suddenly and loudly. We laugh every time.
22. When you leave for school or I drop you at a play date, I always tell you the same thing, "be a good friend." I always want you to be the nice kids. I hope you remember when you are older that I always said that, because I honestly do. And thankfully you are really good friends to those around you.
23. I love to see the surprised and happy look on your faces when I drop a handful of gummy bears in your lap for no good reason.
24. When we're shopping down an empty aisle in the store, I push the shopping cart out in front of me and pretend I can't run fast enough to catch up with you. It keeps you, Henry, laughing and so entertained.
25. I love reading stories to you. Even though, every time, you girls fight over which character you get to be in the story. Why can't you both be the fairy? I'm sorry if you remember me getting mad about things like this, I just don't get it. But I love reading to you so much, I always wait for you to figure out who is who so we can read together.
26. I know your kryptonite is coins, so I "encourage" you to help me clean on Saturday mornings to earn some money. I know one day you'll learn that the shiny copper ones aren't worth squat. Please forgive me now for the child labor.
27. I still sing to you your favorite Pajama Time song every night after we've said prayers and before I kiss you good night. You won't let me forget.
28. I tell you that, like all moms, I am magical and can do things like see behind me (like when we're in the car and we know who's bugging who without even turning around) and can predict the future (like when we know you are going to spill your milk because you're fooling around at the table-and then you do). You wholeheartedly believe me and can't wait to be a mom and have super powers.
29. I watch endless episodes of Phineas and Ferb with you, because you are obsessed with it right now. I secretly think it's hilarious. And it's way better than those real-life-people Disney shows that I try desperately to not let you watch.
30. I try so hard to be your friend, but I always want to be sure that I am first and foremost your mother and whatever I do, it is with your best interest at heart. This isn't such a big deal now, but I know one day when you are teenagers, sometimes I won't be your "friend", and that's okay, because I know I'll be doing what's right for you.
The biggest joy in my life are you children. You are my life. I am who I am, because of each one of you individually. I love you more than tongue can tell-even though I tell you a million times. I love you. I love you. I love you.
XOXO
Mom

8 comments:
Happy Birthday my dear! I loved reading this! I miss you! Have the best day ever!
Happy Birthday Jamie! I loved this post you are so great! I can't get Sydney to get her ears pierced she is so scared of the pain. I ask her every time we go to the mall and she grabs her ears and says maybe, then thinks and says no not till I am 16. I giggle and say ok, then she tells me I wish you would have done it when I was a baby then it would be done and I wouldn't remember. I love that girl!!! I wish you a fantastic year of being 30!!!!
You are more amazing, beautiful, talented, loving, funner, and all around better at 30 than ever!! Your family is so lucky to have you as a mom! Happy Birthday! Let's celebrate together in a few weeks! :) xoxox
Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your sweet self with your friends.
Happy Birthday Jamie. You are far beyond amazing. You are a hero and an inspiration to me. I just love seeing you as a mother. It is definitely one of your gifts. Your children are lucky and blessed to have you. Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday! I hope I can be as good of a mom as you are. Really, you are a terrific example. Thank you!
This is so sweet. What a nice tradition. I may just have to copy it. I'm sure your children will love reading this one day. Happy Birthday!
This is such a good idea, Jamie. I was just thinking how I wanted to write a letter to my kids on my blog... what a good tradition. You are simply fabulous. Happy Birthday.
Post a Comment