1.20.2011

William Love

Dear Baby Cakes,
It's already been two months. How can that be? You are even better than I knew to ask for. I didn't know babies could be this good. I think you are just about the sweetest thing I have ever met. I am head over heels in love with you.
We went to your appointment on Tuesday, and until that day I don't think I knew what your cry sounded like. You never make a peep. You act totally nonchalant about everything. You are one easy going baby. Then you got those shots and I heard you scream. Boy were you ticked. Then, just like nothing happened, you went back to being your delicious self.
You are certainly the calm within the storm at our house. Things are hectic and busy and loud, and you just sit or lay there totally unfazed by everything going on around you. I hold you often. I love having you in my arms. But I broke a rule with you little man. I buckled and bought a bouncy seat. I use to pride myself in the fact that with the first three kids I never owned a swing or a bouncy seat. I held them and I rocked them to slept. But all of a sudden, I didn't have enough hands anymore. And I need somewhere to lay you down while I pack lunch in the morning, or need to cuddle Henry while I read to him. You are usually on my lap then too, but sometimes he needs my whole lap, and I think that's okay. So you sit next to us in the bouncy seat. But I promise, you are held every second I can get my hands on you.
Your brother and sisters still ask to hold you all the time too. Henry pats his lap and says his version of your name "il-hum" and waits for you to be placed carefully in his arms. I have to be sure not to touch you or help hold your head while you're on Henry's lap. Oh no, he can do it all by himself. But I promise, I stay right next to you the entire time. Because when Henry's done, he bails and I better be there to catch you.
You have been sleeping from 10 pm to 7:00 am since you were 6 weeks old. It's a miracle if you ask me. I actually wake you up at 7 to feed you, because by 7:30 all hell breaks loose and I am needed in a million different places and am going a million different directions for the next little bit. But I promise, I soak up those 30 minutes of you each morning.
I guess it's probably time to drop that 10 pm feeding and get you to bed at the same time as the rest of the kids, but I won't do it yet. No way. From 7 pm to 10 pm that is your time with daddy and me. We take you downstairs and talk to you and you talk back. You are so alert and happy during that time. We love seeing your smiles. A few nights ago I was telling you how special you are. I told you how sorry I am that you spend naps in the car seat because I'm picking the girls up from school. And how sorry I am that you don't get as much attention as you deserve. And how sorry I am that on some days, your bouncy seat is permanently parked smack dab in the middle of the kitchen because I can't seem to leave the dishes in the sink again. But I promise, I talk to you while I'm loading the dishwasher and stop often to get smiles from you on those days. On that night, a few nights ago, when I was feeling like I don't give you enough of my time, daddy reminded me of something important. He reminded me that you're the fourth child. And that is sorta what happens to fourth children. But he reminded me that I'm the fourth child in my family too (by eight, long, extremely important minutes). And he is the fourth child in his family as well. And so little William, you will be just fine. Because being the fourth born in our family, makes me love you a million times more. You are indeed, a very special boy.
Love,
Me

7 comments:

Shanen said...

Aww, William will love to have this letter years down the road. You are a good mom and he is a lucky boy to have you as his mommy, and to have such great sisters and a brother. Count your blessings every day that you have a good baby...caus he will probably get blamed when you decide to have another one. =)

The Seaquist Family said...

So sweet. We have a story like your 4th child story for Ryan. It is good to feel important. What a great mother you are. You should give me pointers. I feel like I'm drowning right now and I don't even have a newborn or any in diapers. That can't be good. You express yourself so well. I love reading it.

Lopez7 said...

Jamie I have always thought you are such a beautiful women and I just really admire you as a mother.

Kori Lopez

Bryn said...

This post made me grin from ear to ear. How blessed you must feel everyday to have him...even if he is having to sit in a bouncy chair! (Which, by the way, I think you should totally forgive yourself about!) Just to warn you, when you get out here to AZ he will never be left unheld! Love you so much!!

Blaire Ostler said...

okay, now i'm atrting to get freaked out. we shop at target way too much. i have that same hooded suit for my william (dwellstudio) and that same throw pillow (dwellstudio) on my brown sofa. and i just took some photos of william and some blocks. well, if you're ever feeling lonely don't, because you now have another twin in florida. it's like i'm looking at my house(by my baby has a few more rolls to spare)...crazy!

love you house,love the pic! and the story too. i love writting to the kids, they'll appreciate it when they grow up:)

Jamie C. said...

Blaire-I wish I could leave comments on your cute blog. I bet since you have that little outfit for William, you no doubt bought the blue one with the orange dinosaur on it as well. I know you love orange as much as I do.
I need you here to decorate the rest of my house with. I'm totally stumped. Here's an idea, you take pictures of the rest of your house, send them to me and I'll just copy you, since we seem to have the same taste. Pro bono of course :)
Ok, this is silly, I'm writing you an e-mail, look for it soon...

Tasha said...

I love you Jamie. I love how you love your children. Every time I come to your blog I feel this surge of energy and love and a simple and lovely reminder of why I love being a mother. You just put everything so beautifully. That William sounds like a perfect 4th child who is going to adore his Mother.