3.01.2011

Bampa

We don't understand a lot of the things that come out of Henry's mouth. But one word is crystal clear- "Bampa". We've been so lucky the last few months to see my parents a lot. They came when William was born. Then again a few weeks ago for his blessing. And we just returned from a break from our winter weather where we stayed in Arizona with my parents for 10 days.
Most of the time I feel bad that my children don't get to see their grandparents as often as their cousins. They have missed out on quite a bit by not living near them. My parents are always doing such fun things with the grandkids. They show up to nearly all the sporting events and school functions the grandkids participate in. They spend so much time with each of them. I'm always worried that they don't "know" my kids as well as the others because we don't have them here for all of our doings.
But the truth is, they do know my kids. In fact, we have a little something special that is unique to just our family. Because when my parents come to visit us, or when we visit them, we stay with one another. My parents get to be with us every second of the day. They know our exact routine in the mornings and exactly what we do before getting the kids in bed at night. They really do "know" each of my children and their personalities.
And one thing is for sure...my kids still adore their grandparents. Henry is my dads number one fan. He is always asking "where's bampa?" with his cute little hands in the air like he's looking for something. My dad calls him Hankman and can count on Henry follow him around like a little puppy dog whenever they are together. It's the cutest thing. I don't know how it happened, but these two have a bond like I've never seen before. Henry, who pretty much likes only me, would be perfectly content replacing me for him. My dad eats it up.
Yesterday when we got home and walked into our house Henry asked about two steps in, "where's bampa?" It stinks not knowing when we'll be together again. It makes saying goodbye really tough. But whether we're near or far, I'm truly grateful for great grandparents. And for Skype.
I hope you're home tonight dad, Hankman will be calling.

2 comments:

MyR said...

I LOVE this! I can relate to everything in this post! I am anxiously awaiting the day I can move my little family back to Arizona and be closer to my parents but I will always cherish the time we have lived apart and the special and unique bond it allowed my kids to have with them.

And I have to agree 110%. The goodbyes are SO HARD!!!

Tasha said...

That is too sweet. I am glad you got to go see your family for 10 days!