10.08.2009

Baby Food


I'm just going to come clean right here, right now, as a mom, and declare something I'm not proud of. I do NOT like feeding my kids. Sure, I'll make them their meals and give them snacks, but actually feeding them? No way.

See, I like food. I really enjoy it. A lot. I want my meals to be about me eating. And me enjoying the food I prepared. Not about me spoon feeding my children their food. That, my friends, would decrease the joy of my meal. And that's a no go.

Another deal breaker is begging and counting down the number of bites until they can be excused. Nope, I don't go for that either. They can either eat or not eat. It's their choice. But I won't be making them sit at the table crying until they eat "x" more bites. Again, that would decrease the joy of my meal. And I don't want that joy decreased at all.

So our children have learned to feed them selves from early on. Survival of the fittest I say. They eat what we eat. Or not. If they don't feed themselves the food I make, they don't get food. Or help. They just go to bed hungry. And eat a whole lot the next morning. Which is fine by me. Because I enjoyed my food. And food is my focus at dinner time.

However, I can not not feed a sixth month old. He needs help. I put off feeding Henry baby food for as long as I could. Finally, I had to break down and do it. Spoon feeding baby food is the worst. It smells. It's lumpy. And it gets everywhere. I really loathe feeding my babies baby food. I try to get them through the baby food stage as quickly as possible. At the first sign of teeth, it's cheerios and veggie puffs at meal time. No spoon feeding necessary. Then I'm golden. Back to enjoying my meals once again.

But I think I may be seeing my last days of spoon feeding. My answer? Gabriella and Gwen. They love to feed Henry. They're my ticket to enjoyable meal times. It's well worth the mess they make on Henry. And he's pleased as punch that those two little girls aren't as fast with the spoon as I am. Every now and again he gets a hold of that spoon full of squash and he's pretty proud of himself. See? Every one's happy.

And two little teeth have just popped up. So it's on to finger foods and no messes once again. But Henry does look pretty cute in a mess. That, I will miss. But to the spoon feeding baby food-good riddance.

Just so you don't think I'm horrible, I want to clarify this post is not serious.
Okay, it's a little serious.

Fine. I meant everything I said. But I do love my children. I just really love food too.

8 comments:

Maria said...

To this I must comment! I also DISLIKE spoon feeding my kids. With Isaac I did it longer because he was my first, but with Abby, man she had to learn early on to feed herself because I also had a toddler running around. My mother thinks I'm horrible for those times they barely touch their dinner, so she goes on to spoon feed them if she's around. But I totally know how you feel, I just love eating food way too much! I'm glad I'm not alone!

Jennifer said...

Jamie thanks again for the good Mom laugh. You are such a great Mom. How awesome that you let your girls do it. I need to let my hair down a little bit I think. I like your eat it or not policy. We might adopt that one.

Bryn said...

I can remembering thinking that with both Dax and Wyatt....sitting at the table forever shoveling spoonful after spoonful waiting for them to get full and it never seemed to happen. I don't think you are a bad mom at all! I am just glad to hear that with your third, helpers make the experience a little better! I hope you guys had fun tonight! Where did your big picture go? I loved it big!

DEANNA said...

Oh my gosh, your baby boy is stunning. His eyes are like ocean blue and man oh man if he is not gonna break hearts with those.

I could learn a lot from the eat or go to bed hungry. Unfortunately I can't do that but I don't make them their food. As far as I am concerned... if they don't like the meal Tommy, Pudgie and I are eating... cereal is easy to make and clean up and they can have at it!

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way with my kids. We eat one meal. However, now that my kids are a little older, if they won't eat it, I let them make their own dinner. Usually a PB & J! Some things are nice about kids growing up!

BTW, I loved your post about your birthday. I just got caught up on your blog and hope you don't mind if I use your idea. I think it is a great way to help kids remember these years. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jill said...

Yes, big sisters are the best at that. Kate begs to feed Gwen her puffs five times a day and doesn't want to eat her own food because she wants to feed Gwen. And I'm with you on not liking to spoon feed. It just gets everywhere!

p.s. Thanks for the chair advice! I'm still deciding...

Lisa said...

Totally made me laugh, Jamie. I'm glad you've discovered some of the benefits of older kids -- Katie is my lifesaver. Henry is adorable.

nicole said...

I can't believe how much Henry resembles Gwen! Those eyes are just to die for! I know what you mean about spoon feeding. Luckily, Todd would feed the kids while I put dinner together then we'd find a toy and let them sit at the table while we ate. It worked pretty well all in all. I can't wait to see you in just two days!!!